Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP computer no longer recognising external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

I am out of ideas, sorry. I have absolutely no idea why XP does not see the disk and 8.1 does. The disk is MBR which should not present a problem to XP. On your computer did you do the devicecleanup cmd instructions I posted to remove all non-present devices.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

You should see if other USB devices are working on the same ports and visually inspect them for damage. Inspect the cable end on the external drive too. It's also possible that maybe the bios battery is low and things got scrambled or turned off. Some laptops do have security setting features in the bios to turn on/off usb ports.

#33 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,537 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

You should see if other USB devices are working on the same ports and visually inspect them for damage. Inspect the cable end on the external drive too. It's also possible that maybe the bios battery is low and things got scrambled or turned off. Some laptops do have security setting features in the bios to turn on/off usb ports.

The drive is not detected on the OP's home computer or the XP computer at his office. That is what is strange. 

From OP's post #24 after I recommend a cable swap. I have never heard or seen one of these. I'm thinking he's looking at a micro USB connector. 

I can't try a different cable: the external drive has a "custom-crimped" connector, and nothing else will fit into it. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 November 2017 - 05:39 PM.

#34 alisp

alisp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted Yesterday, 01:22 PM

No, it's just a standard WD Passport connector for that model, but again I don't think that's the problem, because why would it work on my 8.1 computer?

Sorry for the late reply: I hadn't seen there was a 3rd page started.

#35 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,537 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 PM

If your office has a powered USB hub connect that to the XP computer then the drive to the hub. Does it get detected?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users