Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To build or not to build

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:28 PM

background on me:

Im very technically savvy so building would not be an issue, although I have never built a computer before. Usage will be some web browsing, music and movie downloading (iTunes) and I do video game so this will be its main use. I currently play Guild Wars 2 which is an older game by todays standards but may expand out into BF2 and some FP shooter. I moved to Mac about 5 years ago and may come back to Windows. (hate on Mac if u want but its been way more stable than all of my windows machines!! I have been gaming since the 90's)

System I am considering to build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JvY3hq

Some of these parts are over priced on parts picker, I have this down to about $1450.00ish (price spike on the 580 :( )

but here is the question, right now theres a Dell PC (i know i know) for $1299.95 with much more

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-1700x-32gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-2tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-recon-blue/5901711.p?skuId=5901711

So I ask, why build? Same video card, 32gb ram vs 16gb in my build, 1800X over the 1600. I would prefer to try my first build but the price.....some honest, no troll, advice would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 09 November 2017 - 06:13 AM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:38 AM

This looks more even. You spent much more than needed on the case and WiFi adapter.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($284.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($81.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($280.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX300 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.88 @ Amazon)
Total: $1297.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-09 00:33 EST-0500

The main thing that makes the Dell machine cheaper is the Windows OS. They can get it for much less than we do. Even with the prices adjusted, it's still cheaper by 50$ so what's the catch?

Well with building the PC, the main thing is the power supply. Pre Builts are notourious for low end power supplies (not all pre builts are like this but when they don't mention it, assume this is the case). The build we have has a much better power supply which regulates the voltages well and ensures the parts last. The Dell one is probably some non branded one they bought in bulk from a Chinese factory which will fail in 2 - 3 years time. That's where they aced some of the money.

Another thing is with a built PC, you won't have to deal with the bloatware which manafacturers install on most PC's these days.

In my opinion, it's worth the extra $50 to go built as opposed to buy. If we were building however, there are a few things to change.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($193.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($81.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX300 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Video Card ($484.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.88 @ Amazon)
Total: $1300.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-09 00:30 EST-0500

Here, I've swapped the CPU down to a 1600 as the 1700 hasn't got much much more gaming performance (games utilise around 4 threads on average). The RAM is reduced 16 GB which is more than enough. Most games use around 8GB with demanding ones going up to 10 GB. These savings allow us to get a 1070 Ti which is considerably better than the 1060

#3 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

Some good points about the bloat ware and poor power supplies. These are some things identified in the past with Dell and their Alienware line. The 1800X is overkill this is why in my parts build I had a Ryzen 16000. I am willing to float the extra 50-75 for the NXT Razer case if I build.

Whats your thoughts on the AMD 580 listed in my build vs a GTX1060? or the 1070TI u suggested. The reason I was avoiding Nvidia was if you want to take advantage of their Gsync this will also inflate the monitor cost. Thoughts?

Edited by hamluis, 12 November 2017 - 04:22 PM.

#4 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

The RX 580 is a great GPU but it's price has been driven up by cryptocurrency mining so it's wildly overpriced compared to the 1060 6GB. Both perform much the same so it really doesn't matter. The 1070 Ti is just quite a bit more powerful than either one so you should take that into account. In my opinion, as Nvidia is the only one which isn't inflated, just grab a 1070 Ti and a monitor without G-Sync as it probably doesn't matter too much.

#5 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

Okay so this is what I am thinking on going with,

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YBnPjc

Any last thoughts or suggestions? Any issues with the selected parts? I went with that high end WiFi card because I will game and must use WiFi. I know I can get a cheaper case but if Im going to build thats the case I want. Matches my Razer stuff now.

The only errors I got on PCpartspicker.com were 

• The NZXT - H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 406mm long, but video cards over 294mm may block drive bays. Since the Asus - Radeon RX 580 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card is 298mm long, some drive bays may not be usable.
  • The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Go with another GPU, the Radeon RX 580 is being marked up more than its worth.

You can score this GTX 1060 for cheaper:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA65C6HH6868

Sure the GTX1060 is still suffering a little from cryptomining but its calmed down a lot and most cards are within the MSRP

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

As usual, I recommend MLC drives instead of TLC

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rxPzK8/adata-xpg-sx8000-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8000np-256gm-c
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/twp323/corsair-force-mp500-240gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-cssd-f240gbmp500

As usual too, I recommend getting Win 10 Retail

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Mk648d/microsoft-os-kw900265

It's also not bad idea to take 2TB HDD.

For errors, I doubt that drive bay blocking is problem unless you plan to put many drives based on what I read.

Second error is about SATA ports. You'll have 4 SATA ports left. If that is not enough, by better motherboard.

#8 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

Last chance to change my mind, I have been looking and looking but just don't see how I can beat this pre made by Levono

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/y900/ideacentre-Y900-RE-34ISZ/p/99IC9Y90246

The main issue in builds seem to be the GPU. With all the mining causing a spike in GTX 1070, 1070Ti, RX 580, and even GTX 1060's it is putting the cost of a build over what I can get the above computer for.

Base price 1699.99

Levono offers Military discount so my price is: -$170.00

Also receive a discount on the Levono Y27g monitor, Regular $649.99 for $449.99

Upside:

Price

I have a Mac now so I need everything (keyboard, mouse, monitor) and the upside to this pre built is it comes with almost $200 worth of Razer Keyboard and Mouse.

Downside:

i7 7600k not 7700 (so close is specs this is barely a downside)

Not a Ryzen

From the reviews I have seen the only down side was price (reviews are from 2016 when its prices was $2400)

16mb RAM is not bad, but it is only 1 stick of 16mb not 2x8mb and reviews talk about this as a potential downside

Bloat ware (it has minimal compared to other brands)

Build that is comparable (I know the case says $224 but I can get one for $100)

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/y900/ideacentre-Y900-RE-34ISZ/p/99IC9Y90246

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

Nice find!

Seriously its nice, i would go for it.

Yeah you will have to deal with the bloatware but you are getting a gaming powerhouse there at a reasonable rate.

If you have military benefits here then go for it.

I mean i personally would still build on my own but for a pre built with discounts you got some nice things there.

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 December 2017 - 09:26 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

Nice find!

Seriously its nice, i would go for it.

Yeah you will have to deal with the bloatware but you are getting a gaming powerhouse there at a reasonable rate.

If you have military benefits here then go for it.

I mean i personally would still build on my own but for a pre built with discounts you got some nice things there.

Thats what I thought too, when you take the base price minus the military discount and cost for the razer keyboard/mouse Im getting the computer for about $1340ish. Plus saving $200 on the monitor as a bundle.

I do have one more question, it comes with 1 stick of 2133mz 16mb RAM. If I want to add another stick do I need to be concerned about matching the band of the current RAM? or can I add 1 stick of 2133mz 16MB? I was also going to ask customer service if I would order it from them.

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:45 AM

Thats the downside, since we dont know the max RAM of the machine or how many slots it has it may not pay off.

I may wish to do some homework on this myself, see if i can dig up its ram capacity and ram slots.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

Thats the downside, since we dont know the max RAM of the machine or how many slots it has it may not pay off.

I may wish to do some homework on this myself, see if i can dig up its ram capacity and ram slots.

4 slots (1 used) and capable of 64mb

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

Yeah just saw that.

It could be worth it.

I mean there are still more options out there for you.

I mean you could just drop the Razer stuff and go for non razer branded parts.

Not knocking razer but plenty of other good brands out there.

I understand you want to get another mouse and keyboard but I can link you good cheaper alternatives to razer branded stuff.

As for monitors, screw gsync, really its one thing I hate about nvidia they are so money grubbing with thier tech.

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 December 2017 - 09:53 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 D_A_R_K_Knight

D_A_R_K_Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

Yeah just saw that.

It could be worth it.

I mean there are still more options out there for you.

I mean you could just drop the Razer stuff and go for non razer branded parts.

Not knocking razer but plenty of other good brands out there.

I understand you want to get another mouse and keyboard but I can link you good cheaper alternatives to razer branded stuff.

As for monitors, screw gsync, really its one thing I hate about nvidia they are so money grubbing with thier tech.

This a downside? To build the same computer using Amazon and Newegg is costing about 1650+tax. Since I am moving from Mac to Windows I need everything to include the OS.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nXwDpb

I did use the GTX 1070ti vs a GTX1080 on the build above since the stats are so close and 1070ti are slightly less. Remember I am getting the case for $100, parts picker has it at $225

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:30 AM

I would just cut costs on some of the parts to forward on the windows licence

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zWkqKZ

Without the Razer case

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nb3W2R

If you must have razer branding

I mean you can still get the case you want but i did save you some money in some of my parts changes.

A slightly cheaper power supply for the same rating and a cheaper wireless AC PCI card.

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 December 2017 - 11:38 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users