Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU heatsink has a square hole in it over where the cpu/integrated gpu is

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rever4217

rever4217

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:11 PM

So as I was pulling apart my laptop earlier yesterday, when I got to the motherboard, I noticed that the heatsink has this rectangular hole over where the cpu/integrated gpu should be. I don't know whether it's the cpu or integrated gpu (intel HD graphics btw) as there's nothing there to discern them but I do know that it's not the dedicated nvidia gpu as that's separate and says 'nvidia' further down. I believe it's the integrated gpu as there's another similar looking metallic rectangle more towards the centre of this particular piece and the cpu is more likely to be in the centre and the gpu is next to it.

This hole baffled me as I don't understand what it's for or how the heatsink works if it's not directly covering the integrated gpu to transfer heat! The rectangular hole perfectly fits over the gpu so it's as if the manufacturers DELIBERATELY went out of their way to make the heatsink have this particular hole for it.

My question is what's it for? Does anybody have any idea? I'm just curious.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:36 AM

What laptop is it in?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 rever4217

rever4217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:39 AM

What laptop is it in?

Acer aspire v15, specifically V3-572G-77T0

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,374 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:00 AM

As we'd expect from the deliberate nature of the cutout, it seems to be normal - see 8:15 in the teardown video here:

It's an ancillary chip adjacent to the CPU, possibly Southbridge? So presumably it generates little heat and would run hotter if it contacted the CPU heat spreader.

#5 rever4217

rever4217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:26 AM

Oh ok, so it's not the integrated gpu but something else which doesn't generate as much heat and so is left separate from the heatsink so it doesn't heat up from it?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,374 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:20 AM

That's how it appears to me. The GPU is at the end of the heatpipe where the 4 square video RAM chips are, the central location where the cutout is has the main system memory DIMMS closest, that's going to be the CPU.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

In any case, the integrated GPU is built onto the CPU die; it's all part of the CPU package. It's not a separate little chip right next to the CPU.....that isn't the way it works..!

(Though you can be forgiven for thinking so...)

I agree with Platypus; it's more likely to be the southbridge.....even northbridges tend to be an integral part of the CPU nowadays, along with memory controllers, and a few other things which in the past were all separate chips. This is partly what's responsible for the rise of the micro-ATX boards; with so much stuff that formerly occupied a lot of space all integrated into a single chip, there's a lot less left to go on the board itself.

Mike.  :wink:

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#8 rever4217

rever4217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

Thank you very much for this information Mike! You guys have helped me heaps c:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users