Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New LaCie 4TB HD has only 259MB of available space.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wolverine60

Wolverine60

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:10 PM

I just purchase a 4TB LaCie external HD.  I am running 2 different iMacs I plan to use with.  One is an Early 2009, 20” iMac, running Mac OS X 10.11 and the other is a Late 2012 27” iMac, which has no system at the time because I believe the HD went bad.  That is the main reason for the new HD.

When I tried to install an OS to the new drive it said there wasn’t enough available space.  When I checked, it said there was only 259MB available, so I erased the disk and installed Mac OS extended, but it still say only 259MB of space available.

I purchased 2 other 2TB LaCie external HD about 5 years ago.  They are dedicated for TimeMachine back up, and I never encountered any problem like this when I first initialized them.  They actually had nearly 2TB of space from the start.

My question: is there actually a 4TB disk inside this housing and it is just initialized with wrong information or is it just a faulty disk with no way to fix it?  Aa far as I can tell, LaCie doesn’t manufacture any disks smaller than 2TB of storage, so how could LaCie have accidentally installed a 259TB disk in the housing for a 4TB disk?

If there is a way to fix this disk, I would prefer that to having to repackage and send it back.  I really need to get the 27” iMac up and running again ASAP.  If it’s just a faulty disk, then I have no choice but to return it for another.  I was going to repackage it, but decided I would consult some experts first, in case it is fixable. 

I thank you in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:14 PM

The disc issue. As it is a new one, go claim your warranty and replace the disc. 

They sell such failures in local black markets here in my place.

I would prefer that to having to repackage and send it back.

The best course of action.

#3 Wolverine60

Wolverine60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:09 AM

Thank you very much.  I figured as much, but thought it was maybe just a factory flaw.  I bought the disk through Amazon, so they or the seller should replace it.

I'm sure that there are black market knock-offs of LaCie drives, because any popular brand of ANYTHING is pirated, but I tend to forget that kind of behavior goes on.  I don't think that is the case here, but I could check the serial number to make sure it comes from LaCie.

Thank you again for such a fast reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users