Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Share exfat external drive on Mac with PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 susanrs

susanrs

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

Hi, all -

I have an external drive that was formatted as an exFAT drive on Windows 7. It used to be connected to the Windows PC (Win 7 Home Premium, SP1) on my home network. During that time, I was able to access (read & write) it from the Macbook Pro Mid-2014 retina 15" (Sierra 10.12.6).[/size]
It's now connected directly to the Mac. The MBP can still read & write to it, but I want to share it with the Windows 7 PC. How do I do that?
I don't want to erase the drive, partition it or reformat it, because it's loaded with data. However, that seems to be the only choices Disk Utility gives me... and I can't figure out how to "share" the drive otherwise.
Thanks in advance for your help!
- Susan

Edit: Moved topic from External Hardware to the more appropriate forum. At the request of assisting member. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

I'm not sure I understand. Windows can read and write to exFAT partitions. Are you saying the drive was formatted to something else?

#3 susanrs

susanrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for replying, JohnC_21.

The drive was formatted exFAT and was accessible . The problem is with connecting to the drive from the Windows PC. The PC sees the Macbook on the network, but can't connect to it... even though the username/password combo I'm using is correct.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

It sounds like your question is, "How to share files or folders on a Mac?"

#5 susanrs

susanrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:43 PM

Thanks, BC Advisor. I don't have Parallels and I'm not running Windows 8. Here's what I've done so far...

I thought maybe the problem was that the USB drive had been initially formatted as exFAT on the Windows 7 Home Premium machine, so I grabbed a new Thunderbolt 2.0 external, plugged it into the Macbook Pro, and formatted it for exFAT on the Mac. Next, I copied all the files from the USB drive onto the Thunderbolt drive. Then I turned on file sharing for that drive, Read & Write, under my main admin user account for the Mac.

The Windows 7 PC can see the Macbook Pro on the network... but when I try to connect to it and access the shared external drive using my Mac admin user account credentials, it says "unknown username or password" -- even though I know I'm using the right ones.

Next, after making sure file sharing was turned on, I shared folders on the PC... and was able to successfully connect to those folders from the Mac. So, while connected to the PC on the Mac, I went back and tried connecting to the shared Mac external drive from the Windows PC. It still doesn't work. I still get the message "unknown username or password" even though I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct username.

I've been a PC person for years, and only recently moved to Mac as my primary machine. Does Mac not allow us to use the main admin account when connecting from another machine on a network? Do I need to create a different user account, and share the external drive from that account?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

- Susan

Edited by susanrs, 09 November 2017 - 09:44 PM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

Have you tried using the user name in this format:  MACNAME\MACUser

Where MACNAME is the name of the Mac computer.

#7 susanrs

susanrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

Hi,

Yes, I tried that, but it didn't work.

I just noticed, though... on the PC, where all computers connected to my home network are listed, it shows "macbookpro-9FE4"  That is not, however, the name of my Mac according to the Mac. When I go to System Preferences > Sharing, it says the "local hostname" for the Mac is Susans-MacBook-Pro. Nevertheless, I can't get the PC to connect when trying either of these names. <Sigh>

#8 susanrs

susanrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

Okay... here's an update.

Since all the file sharing settings were correct on both the Mac and the PC, I decided to test this issue from another PC in the house. Here's what I discovered:

The PC running Windows 7 Professional is able to connect to the Mac just fine.

The PC running Windows 7 Home Premium cannot.

So, the question is... does anyone know how to make a Windows 7 Home Premium PC connect to a Mac on a home network? Through a Google search, I found the following:

Registry editing for LAN manager authentication level (in Home edition this can be configured through registry) 

How to do it:  
1 . Open registry editor ( Start search - regedit)
2 . Browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
3.  Create a new DWORD value  with the following properties:   NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel    
                                                                                            VALUE: 1

I tried this, but it did not work. Does anyone know of any other solution?

Thanks in advance!

Susan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users