Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 - Activation prompt then freeze same time everyday?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dlink1001

Dlink1001

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:17 PM

Ever since I updated my computer from windows 8 to 8.1 (a long time ago), everyday at around 7:50-8:00pm, I get a prompt from my computer to activate windows - I follow the steps and nothing works. I never put much thought into it because I could simply exit out of it an continue whatever I was doing.

Problem is, after exiting the prompt, my computer freezes completely, doesn't matter what I was doing, how long it has been on for, what I had open, everything just stops. I;m usually browsing the web on Chrome and it just freezes, videos stop, tabs crash, etc.

It's pretty frustrating as it takes a good 10-15 minutes for everything to get back up again. It happens everyday, without fail, at around 8pm. Any ideas how I could fix this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:12 PM

Did this computer originally come pre-installed with Windows 8? If that is the case the key is embedded in firmware and there should not be a problem with activation as 8.1 uses the 8 key. 

Download Firmware Tables View. Run the program and look under the MSDM table. Is your windows 8 key shown. Is it the same when running the below keyfinder?

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases

If the keys are the same you can reinstall Windows 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool. It will let you create a DVD or USB flash drive. Also an iso which can be used with Rufus which is the preferable method. Select GPT partition scheme in the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. Press Start.

Doing a clean install after backing up all your data and any licenses for purchases software like Office would give you a clean slate without the baggage of Windows 8. You may need to download drivers from your computer's support site before hand. One would be your wifi driver and possibly Ethernet also.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

Open the Start Screen and type "cmd" into the search box. Right-click on cmd and select "Run as administrator".

To force Windows to attempt an online activation, run the following command.

Cd C:\Windows\System32

slmgr.vbs /ato

This command can be useful if Windows didn’t activate due to a connection or server problem and you want to force it to retry.

Once you’re done, you can use the slmgr.vbs /dli or slmgr.vbs /dlv commands to confirm you’re activated.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users