Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Making A Loud Rattling Noise (sound clip included)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 btl00x

btl00x

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

I have a Lenovo Flex 2-15D. It has been making a constant rattling noise, the volume fluctuates. It starts as soon as its powered on and does not stop until its shut down. It's also heating up and running very slow. I cleaned the fan but it didn't help. 

I attached audio of the sound its making. I'm hoping someone knows this noise. Could this be my fan or hard drive needing to be replaced?
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s12qC8Nlm67Y

Edited by btl00x, 08 November 2017 - 03:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

Hello btl00x,

Could this be my fan or hard drive needing to be replaced?

Could be either tbh but I`m leaning towards the HDD as the noise does not sound like failing fan bearings of fan blades that are catching.

Check the HDD with CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.0 Standard Edition which you can download from here once done grab a screenshot (possibly two) of the results and attach to your next reply for us.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

that's the fan!  it's to low pitched to be a HDD motor.  a HDD motor sounds like a jet engine when the bearing is going bad.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

Fan was my first impression also. Hopefully your fan can be replaced without also replacing the heat sink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users