Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I getting my moneys worth for this pre built Desktop from Staples?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Surfertx

Surfertx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

I'm shopping for a PC desktop for my father in law.  He will be using it primarily for web surfing and watching videos.  He's not a power user at all.  Budget is $300 to $350 must be NEW.  The idea is to get him a easy to maintain machine. So far I found this desktop from Staples https://www.staples.com/hp-slimline-270-p026-desktop-intel-core-i3-1tb-hdd-8gb-ram-windows-10-intel-hd-630-graphics/product_2720260

What do you guys think? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

Warranty: 1-Year limited Hardware warranty, 90 days Limited Technical support for Software and Initial Setup (from date of purchase)

If there becomes problems after warranty period is over, then maintaining is much harder than with PC built from quality parts. So it's not that simple.

#3 Surfertx

Surfertx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

Warranty: 1-Year limited Hardware warranty, 90 days Limited Technical support for Software and Initial Setup (from date of purchase)

If there becomes problems after warranty period is over, then maintaining is much harder than with PC built from quality parts. So it's not that simple.

What about the specs for the price?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

Specs are typical for OEM machine, cheap parts with nearly zero possibilities for upgrades. Remembering that is OEM machine, price is quite OK considering specs.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,288 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:15 PM

If all that is done on the system...is what you reported...I would think that specs hardly matter.  Any system made within the last 10 years handles those two functions quite well.

Of course...you have the right to spend as much money as you like on a given system.

Louis

#6 Surfertx

Surfertx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

Specs are typical for OEM machine, cheap parts with nearly zero possibilities for upgrades. Remembering that is OEM machine, price is quite OK considering specs.

Should I go custom build?  Is there a site that will build it for you?

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

As the others have said, this should do fine.  I'd highly recommend that you set up Team Viewer on it so that you can assist remotely.  As Drillingmachine said, upgrade options are next to non-existent.  Provided you accept that up front you should be good.

There will be a ton of computer deals this month, so you may want to see if you can find better, but for the price that's a pretty solid deal.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

You're going to be hard pressed to have someone else build a machine for $350.  Even doing it yourself might not be possible once you consider the Operating System and shipping.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

If you can wait Staples has a Black Friday Special. See the HP on the first page. i5, 1TB drive and 12GB for RAM for $370. You can purchase it online on Thanksgiving and pick it up from the store the next day. I have done this in previous years on Black Friday Specials from Staples. Avoid the headaches and lines.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

Indeed getting a machine is kind of stupid right now, black Friday is round the corner and you may find something better.

If you cant do top end its best to wait a bit.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 November 2017 - 10:34 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#11 Surfertx

Surfertx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:27 AM

That is the plan.  Waiting for Black F and will be building a machine. Thx all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users