Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 failed to load because a file is missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerAmateur

ComputerAmateur

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Hi everyone. I was hoping some of you could help me whit my windows 7 installation problem. Apologies in advance for my english skills. I couldn't find a topic for my problem so I started a new one.

I was meddling whit my old Computer and tried to clean install Windows 7 from CD using Sandberg external dvd drive. I set the correct boot order and booted from external device.  Windows files started to normally load files, but after it was finished I got an error message of a missing or corrupted file. I tried to boot the Computer several times and everytime  error message is the same but the missing file is different. I tried multiple boot options and also tried to restart Windows in safe mode. It just says that there is no operating system installed no matter what I do.  I've had some problems whit USB ports on the old Computer before. Could this be causing the problem?

Im clueless what to do next. Thanks for help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

Since you attempted a clean install...just use the Windows install disk to delete current existing partitions...then try again.

Before attempting an install of Windows...it's basic to ensure that the drive on which Windows will be placed...is without problems.  This can be done by attaching said drive to another system as a secondary...then running the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:35 AM

You can sure attempt the installation again bit if there are problems it might help if you provide some details like:

Out of curiosity what is the reason you are reinstalling Windows?

What are you using for Windows 7 installation media - a retail CD/DVD you bought, a CD/DVD you created and if you created it from where did you obtain the ISO to create the CD/DVD?

Keeping in mind that we can't see what you are seeing:

Instead of saying " I got an error message of a missing or corrupted file" you should specify exactly what the error message says including the name of the missing file(s).

Instead of saying "I tried to boot the Computer several times and everytime  error message is the same" you should specify the exact error message you see.

If you can get to the Advanced Boot Options menu and choose F8 for Safe Mode some part of Windows must be installed (could it be the original installation)? and if you then see a message about "no operating system installed" exactly what does that message say?

I'm sure that everybody on the planet has another system laying around where they can connect a hard drive as a secondary for testing but in case you don't you can check the drive manufacturers WWW page to see if there is a way to create a bootable CD/DVD or USB to run the diagnostics such as:

SeaTools for DOS

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 ComputerAmateur

ComputerAmateur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

Thank you for your answers and sorry for my poorly explained problem. I'll try to be a bit more specific in the future.

As I said before I tried to clean install Windows 7 on my old Computer.I wanted completely clean Computer. I started it by booting from a retail CD/DVD using Sandberg external DVD drive. It was connected in 2 USB ports in the front panel of my Computer. I've had some problems whit those USB ports in the past. For example sometimes my Computer didn't find USB devices connected to those ports.

Windows installation began normally. It started to load files. But after the loading finished I got an error message:

``Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem.

​(Edit: ​No new hardware or software installed)

1. Insert Windows installation disc and restart your Computer.

2. Choose language. Then NExt.

3. Click ``Repair your computer``

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or Computer manufacturer for assistance.

​I don't remember all  the files that came in the next part, but  first one was CI.dll. Everytime I tried to start Windows again the file was different. For example \Windows\system32\config\system

In the info part there was ``Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

Today I tried to recreate the error message so I could write the exact error message here. But as I turned  the Computer on all I got was the motherboards brand on the screen and after that an message: ​An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

​As you guys adviced I plugged the old HHD on another Computer and it seems to work properly. I used Windows CHKDSK and WMIC. Both said that the disks status is OK. I also tried the SeaTools as joseibarra suggested whit same results.

Thank you again for your answers and help ! :thumbsup:

Edited by ComputerAmateur, 09 November 2017 - 11:43 AM.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

My Windows installation experience is limited as I would rather "fix" instead of reinstall but that sounds like information that will allow others to give you some good advice now.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 ComputerAmateur

ComputerAmateur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:30 PM

I also did a virus scan for the disk while I was at it and it was clean.

Any thoughts what could be causing this? Im out of ideas what to try or what's the matter here :unsure: 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

Faulty media...faulty device used for install...and so on.

My approach is to first ensure that the media is clean and readable...assuming that I've already run a diagnostic on the drive to be used for the install.  IMO, the error message points to inability to properly copy files into memory for install or copy same to hard drive.

Until you obtain proof that the files have been reliably copied from medial to the hard drive...I don't see how you can suspect anything other than the media or the device.

If you are using a device that has previously reflected problems when connected to front ports...I see no reason to connect it to those ports.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users