For the past two days I'd started having issues with my cursor freezing up on the screen only to release and continue after a few moments. Yesterday it froze and stayed that way for quite some time and I had to perform a hard reboot. The restart was uneventful until I saw my Desktop which had two icons, My Computer and Recycle Bin. Settings for the Display were all reset and nothing I did could change them back. It appears that all my data files, primarily in Excel, were all there but I couldn't open any of them. I don't know if this helps bet I've made a list of observations of what I can and cannot do and other peculiarities since this started. By the way, any diagnostic or utility programs that I had on the hard drive won't respond. I obtained utility programs from Dell and Intel that I believe were successfully downloaded they don't respond. I'm told "The Application cannot be started. Contact the vendor." Or when you click on the icon everything starts as normal and then just ends. I have no idea if it actually started and if it did,f where did it go?
Start Menu and Taskbar changed totally. The altered menu pops up when you hit the Start button to a every generic listing. If you click anything on this screen nothing happens. Wait a few seconds then all the programs with their respective icons show up and now you can open all the programs but some go through the motion of starting but nothing happens. Anyway, I don't want to start off with anything incredibly long here is a list of observations:
1. Move any files
2. Make any shortcuts
3. Search for anything because the function no longer works
4. Open any Excel files (yet I have no problem opening up Word files)
5. Run several diagnostic / utility software programs
6. Open music files using iTunes, which is where all my music resides (I tried WMP and VLC and everything played normally)
1. Library folder is empty (the folders Documents, Music, Photos and Videos are all missing)
2. All music artwork labels disappeared only to be replaced by strings of numbers.
3. The keyboard goes on binges of typing strings of "e's" or "ef's" so you're constantly having to edit every third or fourth word.
There's nothing jamming or pinching these keys. You can be sitting across the room and it'll start all by itself.
4. Empty "vlc" folders are popping up everywhere. Strange thing is "vlc" has been replaced by what looks like a far eastern alphabet
(Laotian or Cambodian is my guess) and the symbols are always different. At first I had no idea what these were but upon opening these empty folders you see "vlc" in the address bar.