Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving User Profiles and/or data to a separate drive/partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

While the questions that follow aren't Windows 10 specific, since I would be doing them under Windows 10, and the exact technique used may differ from earlier versions of Windows I am going to ask about it here.

I have a machine with a failing hard disc and believe I am going to purchase a new laptop to replace it.  My current HDD is 500 GB but the new machine would be at least 1 TB, and possibly 2 TB.

It seems to me that, even though the machine has one single physical drive, that it would make a lot of sense to isolate the C: drive to containing the Windows OS and installed programs only and creating a separate partition (or, perhaps, more than one) where user data would be stored.  But perhaps that does not make sense.

Questions 1 & 2:  Does it make sense to "cordon off" Windows 10 on its own on the C:\ drive (partition)?

If yes, approximately what size should that partition be?

Questions 3 & 4:  If User Data is split off into it's own logical drive, which of the following techniques is the best for doing this?  [Or is there another that's better?]   I would probably not do a clean install of Windows 10 on the new machine unless that is actually the best and easiest way to accomplish this.  I know that a clean install would go a long way toward eliminating any bloatware, so it may be appealing for that reason alone.

https://winaero.com/blog/move-the-users-folder-in-windows-10-windows-8-and-windows-7/

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1964-move-users-folder-location-windows-10-a.html

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/

Question 5:  Would it make any sense at all to split off the Public folders/libraries into their own logical drive?

If I end up having 2 TB to play with having three logical drives that are still "huge" wouldn't be difficult at all.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

The only advantage that I can think of when it comes to partitioning a drive, if you hose your windows then yes, you can keep a back up on the other partition but if that drive fails, then the partition is useless. I see no advantages to store your libraries on another partition, because everything is still on the same drive.  Many 17" and above laptops have an option for more than one drive, I would do that with a second drive as a back up/ restore, (virtual memory if using platter o.s. drive), and temp files on that....especially if your going to use an SSD

imho... the ideas in your links are good ideas but they'll only see any real advantage if your doing that with a second hard drive, not a partition

Edited by Joe C, 08 November 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

1.  It only makes sense if you reload Windows on a normal basis.

2.  If you're also installing software I'd say no less than 128GB.

3.  This is the technique I use, the main reason is I only redirect the information I want to back up, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Pictures, and Movies.  Most of the rest of the user information, with some exceptions, isn't as important.  I don't need AppData, Contacts, and the other items stored in the User directory.

4.  Changing the folder location is the easiest, least painful way to do things.  If you are reloading frequently it is also the easiest to reset.

5.  I'm sure you could find a reason to split the Public folder off, but you'd have to be relying on a lot of data in the folder to make it worth while.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 5,316 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

I've been away most of the day trying to solve problems with her computer.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your input.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users