Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I will Switch to ĞUBUNTUğ but i'm not sure :( Need some Help!! ..

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

I agree with Al about the hardware issue, but back to your privacy concerns. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum on every computer forum and discussed at length at every conference and University. The general consensus is that it does not matter what OS you use, what web browser you use, what search engine you use. The bottom line is if you connect your computer to the internet then you are subject to the same surveillance as every other networked device.

If the only reason that you are leaving Windows is because of privacy concerns, then you might as well not change. But if you are leaving Windows because of the beauty and elegance of Linux, the challenge of learning a new OS, the infinite choice and customibility, the concerns over proprietary software or the attraction of the philosophy of FOSS, then welcome to the world of Linux. It is wonderful.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

and while you are at it....coming from windows........try Linux 18.2  (On a cd or usb to try it out.)

"" I hope i will love Linux, so that i can forget Windows forever""  ..... :thumbup2:

I gave it a go quite some time ago and have never looked back or been back to windows.

That should keep you busy !

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#18 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,256 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:36 AM

I agree with Condobloke. The transition from Windows to Linux would be a much smoother experience if you try Linux Mint Cinnamon instead Ubuntu. Ubuntu often feels alien but Linux Mint is very familiar to Windows.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#19 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:19 AM

Oke thanks everybody for the Help! i'll hope really that i love Linux, and i'll want to try Linux because i don't like Windows 10 anymore, and the Telemetry about it, and it does have to much features, that i exactly don't use, and i'll dont have the money to buy key-code's to activate all my Windows Machine's, but for sure i will back-up my retail keys :) and thats why i will try Linux because it's Open-source and its free to use :P

#20 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,256 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

1. Linux uses just as much telemetry as Windows does. https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&source=hp&ei=iIcEWvyMDsqCjwO-l6KgDA&q=does+linux+use+telemetry&oq=does&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39k1l2j0l4j0i20i264k1j0l3.1226.1978.0.3981.5.4.0.0.0.0.134.485.0j4.4.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.4.484.0..0i131k1.0.PFpOQVMP0M4

2. Minix effects Linux just like Windows. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/662294/are-you-afraid-of-minix/

3. You do not have to back up your Windows key because it is embedded in your motherboard.

4. I think that you will like Linux, and there is a strong community to help you out.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#21 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,256 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

Oke thanks everybody for the Help! i'll hope really that i love Linux, and i'll want to try Linux because i don't like Windows 10 anymore, and the Telemetry about it, and it does have to much features, that i exactly don't use, and i'll dont have the money to buy key-code's to activate all my Windows Machine's, but for sure i will back-up my retail keys :) and thats why i will try Linux because it's Open-source and its free to use :P

Give us specific information about each system because some systems do well with a lighter Linux and some systems can load just about any Linux that you choose.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#22 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,256 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

To the OP, This thread over at the Linux Mint Forum is a very good thread. If you read the whole thing you will learn quite a bit;

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=243648&hilit=security

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#23 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

But ubuntu admins says to me: Linux (Ubuntu) Will work on all Hardware, and will not destroy the Hardware, because Linux (Ubuntu) is more Lightweight than Windows and not so Heavy to run.. is this true? 

My old Computer specs: Intel Core 2 Duo (2.4Gh'z 4 core's around 32-55 Degrees in Idle and little more in normal use) 4GB RAM, 74GB Hard Disk (Seagate) But i formatt it 2 times each month (Low-formatt and install new OS) HP Motherboard (dont know wich build but when it run it's around 50-68 Degrees in Idle and little more in normal use) and 740Watt voeding.

My newer Computer specs (4 years old): Intel core i3 (3.55Gh'z 4 core's around 17-28 Degrees in Idle and normal use) 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Disk (Seagate) But i formatt it 2 times each month (Low-formatt and install new OS) HP Motherboard (around 20-22 Degrees in Idle and normal use) and 740Watt voeding.

Sorry that i not know the details of the motherboards ;(, but my old computer can run Windows 10 (Default was Windows 7) but little things lagg sometime and sometimes freezed but otherwise it can handle it but little slow :P My new computer can run it very fast no problem at all with it (Default was Windows 8.1) and i will test/try Linux on my Old Computer and see if it can run it normally and hope no things crash/get stuck..

'Cheers! and i'll hope i can just run (Ubuntu) on these Systems because i don't want to get a Strange OS that i dont know.. :/ 

Edited by Doghen, 10 November 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#24 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,256 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

If you are really really familiar with Ubuntu, then go for it. Otherwise Linux Mint is the most Windows-like distro with a very fantastic knowledge base and user support network.

As a side note: That old computer will probably struggle with Ubuntu, I would recommend a nice Puppy for that old computer.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 10 November 2017 - 02:55 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#25 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

But i think that Computer can handle Ubuntu fine, because admins, experts sayed to me that Ubuntu is very low of resources/service's and is not SO HEAVY to run as Windows.. :) i'll think Ubuntu is a Light OS not so HEAVY like Windows but we will see :) over 1-2 weeks i will test it out! please follow the forum contantly i will put here how it goes :) cheers

#26 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

My old Computer specs: Intel Core 2 Duo (2.4Gh'z 4 core's around 32-55 Degrees in Idle and little more in normal use) 4GB RAM, 74GB Hard Disk (Seagate) But i formatt it 2 times each month (Low-formatt and install new OS)

This is a little confusing, is there an OS on there now?

You are Formatting Two Time Each Month...why?

Why don't you post the Model Number of this Old computer so we can look it up to help you.  I'm guessing there is nothing wrong with it, and it was a Video Graphics Driver issue.  Or maybe you are having a Hard Drive problem now, but you should still be able to run Linux from USB or DVD.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#27 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,256 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

I agree with pcpunk, why on earth would anyone format their hard drive twice a month. If you format it once and then install your OS you will be good to go until the hard drive dies.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#28 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

So 1 time format each month is good enough and then just reinstall the OS again on the Hard drive?

on both computers there is Windows 10 installed..

#29 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

No, that's not what anyone is saying.

You should not need to reformat a disk, and install a new OS, at any time, unless ....

1. Your computer has been infected so badly, that a reformat and re-install is the swiftest most pragmatic way to remove the infection.
  2. Your current OS is so screwed up and inoperable, that a reformat and re-install is the only way to resolve matters.
  3. You are unsatisfied with your current OS, and wish to start afresh with a new OS.

There is no situation I can think of, in which any normal person, should need to be reformatting their disk on a once a month basis.

What on Earth makes you think that you should be doing this ?

Edited by Gary R, 12 November 2017 - 08:42 AM.

#30 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,256 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

What Gary said is correct. There is no need to to format your hard drive at all unless there is a serious problem that makes your system inoperable.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users