Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I will Switch to ĞUBUNTUğ but i'm not sure :( Need some Help!! ..

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Doghen

Doghen

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

Hey there, i have an Old Computer and a new Computer (Both have EUFI) and both have Windows 10 64x Bits, but i once installed Ubuntu on an old Computer, and just formatted the Drive where Windows was on it, and just installed Ubuntu, but after 30 minutes of running my PC shutted down, and my Hard drive was fully Dead, and my Motherboard won't start only Beeps.. so my question is How can i Properly install Ubuntu on a Brand new Computer (Where Windows 10 came with) and can i get problems with my CPU, MotherBoard, GPU, RAM when i install Ubuntu on Brand new/Old Computers, because i think they where maked only for Windows? and please someone help me with this, i'll have already 2 computers with Windows 10 64x Bits, (2 hard drive's) and both have 4GB RAM.. and Both 64x Processor and My brand new PC have Intel HD Graphics, and my old PC have NVIDIA (Both Motherboard VGA i'm not using any different GPU) i'll hope i can just install Ubuntu as normal that i can install Windows with no issue's.. Cheers.

Edited by Doghen, 08 November 2017 - 10:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

What I'd suggest you do, before even thinking about performing an install, is to create a bootable Linux USB drive with the distro of your choice (in this case Ubuntu) and try running it from the USB.

This will let you know how Ubuntu gets on with your computer's hardware, and also give you a chance to get acquainted with Ubuntu, so that you can see whether you actually get along with it or not before committing yourself to making any permanent changes to your machine.

The following article explains to to do this using Rufus .... https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

Should you then decide to install Ubuntu, you can use your live USB to do so. Just bear in mind that it will be slow, running from USB.

There's no reason why you should have problems due to your computers being designed for Windows. Desktop editions of Linux are designed to run on computers that are designed to run Windows. In comparison to Windows 10, you should find that for the most part, Ubuntu uses less RAM and CPU resources, and spends considerably less time "writing to disk."

#4 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

What I'd suggest you do, before even thinking about performing an install, is to create a bootable Linux USB drive with the distro of your choice (in this case Ubuntu) and try running it from the USB.

This will let you know how Ubuntu gets on with your computer's hardware, and also give you a chance to get acquainted with Ubuntu, so that you can see whether you actually get along with it or not before committing yourself to making any permanent changes to your machine.

The following article explains to to do this using Rufus .... https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

Or i can make the ISO. on DVD-ROM and try the Test version of Ubuntu first? :o

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

Additionally I would suggest that your original issues with Ubuntu were probably just an unfortunate coincidence. Installing Ubuntu on a computer will not have any negative effect on the hardware, it is just an OS.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Should you then decide to install Ubuntu, you can use your live USB to do so. Just bear in mind that it will be slow, running from USB.

There's no reason why you should have problems due to your computers being designed for Windows. Desktop editions of Linux are designed to run on computers that are designed to run Windows. In comparison to Windows 10, you should find that for the most part, Ubuntu uses less RAM and CPU resources, and spends considerably less time "writing to disk."

Hmm oke thanks, i was already scary because i tried Ubuntu on a old pc first, but my Motherboard deads out :( so i'll hope Ubuntu will work on Hardware that is designed for Windows, because i dont want to mess my setup up and totally need to buy a new desktop :( i will use Ubuntu because i'll hate it how W10 spy on you :(

#7 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

Additionally I would suggest that your original issues with Ubuntu were probably just an unfortunate coincidence. Installing Ubuntu on a computer will not have any negative effect on the hardware, it is just an OS.

Hmm oke thanks, I hope i will love Linux, so that i can forget Windows forever :) and i like how Ubuntu is more secure than Windows, you don't need a anti-virus or firewall in Ubuntu :P 

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

Hmm oke thanks, i was already scary because i tried Ubuntu on a old pc first, but my Motherboard deads out :( so i'll hope Ubuntu will work on Hardware that is designed for Windows, because i dont want to mess my setup up and totally need to buy a new desktop :( i will use Ubuntu because i'll hate it how W10 spy on you :(

Additionally, Windows 10 DOES NOT spy on you, but if you are afraid of anyone spying on you do not use any type of smart phone. You can guarantee that you are definitely being spied on using any smart phone. Also, do not use any Apply product or Google.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 08 November 2017 - 01:54 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

Hmm oke thanks, I hope i will love Linux, so that i can forget Windows forever :) and i like how Ubuntu is more secure than Windows, you don't need a anti-virus or firewall in Ubuntu :P

You will need a firewall but it is built in just like with Windows. The only difference is that with Windows the firewall is enabled automatically but with Ubuntu you have to enable it manually.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

Additionally, Windows 10 DOES NOT spy on you, but if you are afraid of anyone spying on you do not use any type of smart phone. You can guarantee that you are definitely being spied on using any smart phone. Also, do not use any Apply product or Google.

I'm only use Google play store and Gmail for emails.. but i can't go away from Chrome already tried Firefox but can't stay with Firefox Chrome is like a magnet :( and iknow Firefox respects your Privacy ...

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

I'm only use Google play store and Gmail for emails.. but i can't go away from Chrome already tried Firefox but can't stay with Firefox Chrome is like a magnet :( and iknow Firefox respects your Privacy ...

No, I am talking about Google, the search engine. It does not make any difference if you use Firefox or Opera or Palemoon, if you use Google as a search engine then your data is being collected and sold.

And please do not use a smart phone for anything.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

No, I am talking about Google, the search engine. It does not make any difference if you use Firefox or Opera or Palemoon, if you use Google as a search engine then your data is being collected and sold.

And please do not use a smart phone for anything.

What's a good Privacy-friendly Search engine that i can use? and does Linux (Ubuntu) respects the privacy of a user? Cheers. and any special things that i need to do after an installation of Ubuntu?

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

You can use DuckDuckGo

https://duckduckgo.com/

There is still the Amazon icon on Ubuntu 17.10 but I believe that the data mining has been abolished since Ubuntu 16.04, but I am not sure why the Amazon icon is still there.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

You can use DuckDuckGo

https://duckduckgo.com/

There is still the Amazon icon on Ubuntu 17.10 but I believe that the data mining has been abolished since Ubuntu 16.04, but I am not sure why the Amazon icon is still there.

Okey thanks, and you can simply uninstall Amazon on Ubuntu :P and does DuckDuckGo really respects your privacy because i see its US Based like Google :o

and do you use DuckDuckGo daily?

Edited by Doghen, 08 November 2017 - 02:56 PM.

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,001 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

Or i can make the ISO. on DVD-ROM and try the Test version of Ubuntu first? :o

Absolutely! :)

Any computer that can run Windows 10 should have ample resources to run Ubuntu. While everything should work, because Linux distros come with drivers for a wide range of hardware, there is always a chance that some piece of hardware will require a driver that Ubuntu doesn't come with, or won't work for some other reason. Wifi seems to be the most common issue. However the idea of "trying out" Linux first, is to check that everything in your chosen distro works properly on your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users