Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidental wiping of disk drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dysongs2017

Dysongs2017

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

Hi there,

Whilst trying to do the right thing and take an image-backup from my new Dell PC onto

a 64Gb pen drive, I mistook the destination drive letter and backed it up to my 5Tb Seagate backup drive

instead!

This meant that the 5Tb drive with last week's backup was reformatted before the image-backup was generated and

copied on to it, thus losing me my latest backup!

Whilst this is not a complete disaster, I would like to know if it is still possible to recover the backup files

on that drive by some expert means that is not too expensive.

Many thanks for any info

Kev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

What are you using to make your system image backups?

If you were able to fit one on a 64GB USB drive then you should be able to fit untold thousands on to a 5TB drive, and reformatting of the drive should not be a part of a typical system image backup in any standard backup software of which I'm aware.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

By image do you mean create a single disk image file or do you mean you were cloning the drive and mistakenly chose the 5tb. 

Easeus allows cloning to a USB flash drive but it requires sector by sector clone. In any case I would not be cloning to a USB flash drive or even to store disk images. As Brian noted you could create many many disk images on the 5TB drive.

#4 Dysongs2017

Dysongs2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:24 AM

Hmmm, maybe I've got the name of the process incorrect.... I think you call it a Windows 10 Image Backup which saves your

complete config after all the time you spend setting up and personalising Windows.

The procedure told me to plug in a USB drive of more that 16Gb (which I did - my 64Gb pen drive) then asked me to confirm that the 

process was okay to completely reformat that drive before the action backup process place - which I did.

At that point both the Pen Drive AND the 5Tb Backup drive were plugged in and the Drive Letters in File explorer was something like G: and H:

Getting these muddled, it was the 5Tb drive that was reformatted and then the Windows 10 Image Backup was made and copied to that drive.

It was a painful mistake to make!

So my question does not concern the backup process or which type of backup I did, but

whether my 5Tb drive can yield the lost files by some special process?

I have heard somewhere that when files are deleted (maybe also through the reformat process) that the files

are actually still on the drive but are no longer indexed in a way that the computer knows where they are.

Many thanks for your responses so far, they are all very helpful.

Kev

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:26 AM

You can try Recuva free, it has worked for me so well in the past that I have bought the professional version;

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Dysongs2017

Dysongs2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:57 AM

Thanks Rocky, that's the best news I've had yet! I will give it a go!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

It sounds like you created a recovery drive. If Recuva does not see your files you may be able to recover the partition table with Testdisk. When scanning with Recuva you can expect a very long scan time on a 5TB drive. Also with Testdisk.

In any case I believe you would be better off using a program like Easeus Todo Backup Free to create regular disk images.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users