Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I7 processors... What's the deal?!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 rever4217

rever4217

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:27 AM

Nooooo, don't stay away from Dell, include all brands! Anyway this website gives a bit of info on the various letter suffixes that intel uses on their cpus. http://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/desktop-vs-mobile-processors-whats-difference/

Basically the HQ variants are more powerful than their U counterparts and a i7-U in desktop terms is more like an i3 lol. Basically, if you think you need or would like the better processing power then go for the HQ otherwise save and get the U. Btw HQ has nothing to do with hyperthreading technology, those technologies depend on the cpu type (i3, i5, i7) and not if it was for a laptop/desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

Gotchya. Though I thought not all i7s had hyperthreading?
Thanks for the info and the link. I'll check it out now.

#18 rever4217

rever4217

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

I'm not exactly sure if ALL i7's have hyperthreading but it's safe to assume so when you see the cpu is an i7. One thing I was wrong about before though was i3's not having hyperthreading, they actually do, it's just the i5's that don't but they get turbo boost instead. Compared to desktop models however, mobile models aren't as strict when it comes to which cpu has what and it's best to just check the individual cpu to see what it has. Usually if it has only 2 cores then it's likely to be hyperthreaded regardless if it's an i5 or not. This gives a bit of info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users