Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building mini-ITX Gaming PC suggestions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vinnm

Vinnm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

The budget im going for is within $2000 - $3000. I just wanted to get anyones thoughts to best maximize my build within this price range.

Anyway, this is what I came up with and its still below my estimated price.

Still dont have a monitor yet!

CPU Cooler: Any suggestions on the cooler? Fan or water cooling, either would be alright. 
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) ($209.00) 
Video Card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! ($639.99) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hello Vinnm,

Not a bad parts list but when spending such an amount of money you should go for newer and better quality components, done an example list of parts for you here please note that no OS is included so if need you will have to factor the cost into your final budget.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

Particular reason for mini-ITX? Micro ATX cases are almost same size as mini-ITX cases (for example Bitfenix Prodigy has exactly same outer dimensions on mini-ITX and micro ATX version).

For mini ITX, Intel CPU's are hot and AMD Ryzens are much easier to cool.

So I would take Ryzen 5 1600X or Ryzen 7 1700 to CPU. That also means AM4 motherboard.

SSD should be M.2 with that budget.

Unless your monitor is very good, GTX1080 is overkill and generally video card prices are very high right now so it's not bad idea to buy cheaper card now.

#4 Vinnm

Vinnm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

Hello Vinnm,

Not a bad parts list but when spending such an amount of money you should go for newer and better quality components, done an example list of parts for you here please note that no OS is included so if need you will have to factor the cost into your final budget.

Thanks for the suggestion of parts. I am still looking into different parts!

Particular reason for mini-ITX? Micro ATX cases are almost same size as mini-ITX cases (for example Bitfenix Prodigy has exactly same outer dimensions on mini-ITX and micro ATX version).

For mini ITX, Intel CPU's are hot and AMD Ryzens are much easier to cool.

So I would take Ryzen 5 1600X or Ryzen 7 1700 to CPU. That also means AM4 motherboard.

SSD should be M.2 with that budget.

Unless your monitor is very good, GTX1080 is overkill and generally video card prices are very high right now so it's not bad idea to buy cheaper card now.

I'm looking into making a good gaming desktop thats small and portable.

I particularly liked fractal design because its ease of use, good room inside and clean cable management as well. I also looked into Bitfenix Prodigy but i heard that it collects dust easily. Have you used this case? If you have any specific suggestions for Micro ATX cases that would be great!

Any suggestions for a goood motherboard that goes with the Ryzen?

For the video card would you agree on the 1070 then?

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

You are welcome Vinnm  :)

See what you think of Plan B

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

Here's an adaption of a build I have been looking at..  Includes new monitor in the price...

CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D9L 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($53.85 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($133.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($233.88 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($535.87 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2174.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-08 12:17 EST-0500

Some explanations etc.

i7-8700 - I like this because it's available (unlike the continuously out of stock i7-8700K) and offers 6 cores, 12 threads with a modest 65w TDP.  It is best considered a 4.3 Ghz part (that is the "all core" turbo speed) rather than a 3.2 Ghz one.  It'll actually run 4.6 Ghz on light loads.  Not oc'able but is it really necessary?
Noctua cooler - quieter than all in one water cooler, well engineered and sufficient for the job.  Not excessively large.  Doesn't foul memory on mITX boards.
Monitor - well reviewed 27" 144 hz G-sync monitor
GPU should be a decent match for a 1440p, 144 hz G-sync monitor like this one.
960 Evo SSD - these are good drives.
2.5" HDD - bolts behind the motherboard for a clean look...

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

I'm looking into making a good gaming desktop thats small and portable.

I particularly liked fractal design because its ease of use, good room inside and clean cable management as well. I also looked into Bitfenix Prodigy but i heard that it collects dust easily. Have you used this case? If you have any specific suggestions for Micro ATX cases that would be great!

Any suggestions for a goood motherboard that goes with the Ryzen?

For the video card would you agree on the 1070 then?

Portable? That's good reason to get ITX. If you want case to be Really portable, look for case with handles. I have no particular recommendation but google finds many options.

PhillPower2's Plan B looks good.

Here's an adaption of a build I have been looking at..  Includes new monitor in the price...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D9L 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($53.85 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($133.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($233.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Hitachi - Travelstar 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($549.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($72.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($535.87 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2174.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-08 12:17 EST-0500

Some explanations etc.

i7-8700 - I like this because it's available (unlike the continuously out of stock i7-8700K) and offers 6 cores, 12 threads with a modest 65w TDP.  It is best considered a 4.3 Ghz part (that is the "all core" turbo speed) rather than a 3.2 Ghz one.  It'll actually run 4.6 Ghz on light loads.  Not oc'able but is it really necessary?
Noctua cooler - quieter than all in one water cooler, well engineered and sufficient for the job.  Not excessively large.  Doesn't foul memory on mITX boards.
Monitor - well reviewed 27" 144 hz G-sync monitor
GPU should be a decent match for a 1440p, 144 hz G-sync monitor like this one.
960 Evo SSD - these are good drives.
2.5" HDD - bolts behind the motherboard for a clean look...

CPU: Intel no longer specify all core turbo speeds and considering 65W TDP, that 4.3 GHz may be too high estimation for all core turbo. Another problem with LGA1151 v2 CPU's and motherboards is very short lifespan as it's expected to be replaced with something newer quite soon. So motherboard availability may be very poor quite soon. In any case, AM4 platform offer much better upgrade options. Depending on motherboard manufacturers of course.

Monitor: Good question if 144 Hz is even necessary. Freesync monitors are generally much cheaper than G-Sync ones. I'd go with Vega 56 and Freesync, depending on what Hz is required. For lower budget (or should I say: upgrade later option), RX 570 is good choice.

SSD: As always, I don't recommend TLC drives. Alternative: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2Fqbt6/adata-xpg-sx8000-512gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8000np-512gm-c

HDD: HDD's are slow but 2.5 inch ones even slower.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 08 November 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

I thought you might like it  B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users