Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen turned off suddenly but system is still semi-running

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rever4217

rever4217

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:07 AM

So I was using my acer aspire v15 laptop which I got at the end of 2015 when all of a sudden the screen blacked out and the laptop sounded like it turned off or shut down. The thing is though, it didn't fully shut down as I could still see the blue light at the front of the laptop which has like a light bulb indicator symbol next to it. I can't remember the exact details if the laptop indeed did fully shut down the first time it happened but when I tried to turn it back on again after it being fully turned off the screen still wouldn't come on but the little blue light and fan/HDD sounded like it was still on. No matter how many times I try turning it on and holding the button down to turn it off again the screen would never do anything and judging from the fans whirring and the lights coming on every time I turn it on, it appears to be in this sort of pseudo-on state but it never boots past that.

I searched the internet for a bit and tried various things such as taking out the battery and having the laptop only connected by the charging cable then putting the battery back in etc., I took apart the laptop and tried taking the RAM stick out (8GB) and then putting it back together and turning it on to see if it would do a POST (?) but no beeping or anything happened, same black screen with semi-on state. I have the feeling that it's something to do with the motherboard or the gpu or the cpu or the connection between any of them? (Possibly the GPU but I don't know)

I read it could be the heat cycles affecting the laptop the most with the constant heating up and cooling down as I use hardware-intensive applications (mostly games). It did initially turn off when I was running dota 2 + chrome + a few other apps but nothing unusual from my point of view on how I usually use the laptop.

This happened yesterday evening and when I tried it again today same thing.

Any suggestions for fixing this semi-running black screen laptop would be much appreciated. I've already gone up to the point of unscrewing it/dismantling it and getting to the motherboard and all parts internally of the laptop so don't be afraid to ask me to do something that may or may not compromise the laptop further as I'm most likely going to find a new laptop to purchase anyway.

At this point I would just really like to know if I can find out what's wrong with my laptop without having to pay some guy who may or may not be able to repair it and then charge me something which is worth more than the laptop's current value itself.

I attached two photos so you can see how it looks before and after I turn it on. (The one with the blue light at the front is when it's turned on) I can add more pictures if people would like of the inside, I just don't want to have to unscrew everything right now after putting it back together.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:44 AM

Hello rever4217,

Would suggest you try connecting the notebook to an external screen to see if you get any display on that, some notebooks will toggle to an external display automatically but some you may need to press one or more keys such as Fn + F5 as one example. 

#3 rever4217

rever4217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

That's actually one of the things I tried. Sorry forgot to mention that. Had no luck with it, still a black screen even when I press fn+f5 and just f5. I have previously managed to externally connect it to the TV with a HDMI cable before when I stream movies and those times I've never needed to press any buttons such as F5 and whatnot, it would just connect.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:14 AM

Not a good sign I`m afraid  :(

I took apart the laptop and tried taking the RAM stick out (8GB) and then putting it back together and turning it on to see if it would do a POST 

Does the computer normally give out a single beep once it has passed the power on self test, if yes, pain in the proverbial to do I know but try removing the RAM then leaving the RAM out, reassemble the notebook and turn on the power to see if you get any error beeps, if you do it would normally suggest that the RAM and memory slot/s are ok and that the problem is after the RAM has been tested as part of the POST and with the graphics device being checked next that would be the likely culprit.

Alternative to the above would be having your RAM tested in another notebook or trying known good RAM in yours, a local tech or tech store may do this but charge a small fee.

Edit: Typo corrected.

Edited by PhillPower2, 08 November 2017 - 08:15 AM.

#5 rever4217

rever4217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

I can't really remember if it beeped or not before the crash but I tried both with the ram in and with the ram out and then reassembling the laptop and turning it on. Same thing happened both times as above, that semi-on state with black screen. The laptop acts the same with or without the ram stick. Does this mean it's the RAM that's possibly at fault? So if I get a new RAM stick compatible with this laptop's ram socket it might work? It's a weird ram stick and I don't have any other ram sticks or sockets that fit into its shape. Should I get it checked with a local tech store?

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

If you are not sure on the beep it wouldn`t have helped pulling the RAM but by the by now in any event as you have already tried the suggestion.

Getting the RAM tested or known good RAM tested is all that I can think of other that pulling the CMOS battery for a while and odd it may seem I have heard of removing the DVD/CD drive fixing such an issue.

The fact that you do not get a BIOS or the Acer splash screen does suggest serious hardware failure I`m afraid  :(

#7 rever4217

rever4217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

If you are not sure on the beep it wouldn`t have helped pulling the RAM but by the by now in any event as you have already tried the suggestion.

Sorry, I meant I couldn't remember BEFORE the laptop crashed whether it beeped or not. During the with/without ram tests it didn't beep at all I believe, it acts the same with or without the ram when starting up.

I just looked up what a CMOS battery is and I do remember seeing such a thing inside the laptop, now I know what that is!

Also every single time I tested turning on the laptop was without the CD/DVD drive, that DVD drive was the first thing I managed to remove when dismantling the laptop as it was only held in by one screw and so slid of its socket with a bit of pressure. I really doubt it has anything to do with the laptop's problem lol.

And yeah, no matter what I do, it seems I can't get the screen to come back to life in any way. A god damn error message or SOMETHING would be great if it showed up on screen! But all I get is the black abyss staring back at me making me wish I got a 2 year warranty instead of 1 as it's just under two years old.

I'm already looking at new laptops to purchase and top of my criteria now is reliability lol. I'm going with the brand that has their laptops last the longest and operate consistently without screwing up. So far apple is top of the list with Dell following behind and due to apple's quite high prices I'll most likely be going with Dell. They seem the best so far. Wish me luck on my laptop hunt!

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

Would definitely get the RAM possibility checked out first, it could save you a lot of money if it is only a bad stick of memory.

#9 rever4217

rever4217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

Alright, I'll try that out first before moving on and see what happens. I'll see if I can get a new working stick of ram into the socket and if I can get the current ram stick working in a new socket. When I can I'll get back to you and post if anything new comes up. Thanks so much Phill c:

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

Sounds like a plan  :thumbup2:

You are welcome btw rever4217 and good luck  :thumbsup2:

Edit: Corrected typo.

Edited by PhillPower2, 08 November 2017 - 11:43 AM.

#11 rever4217

rever4217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

Ok so I just realised that my laptop has two ram sockets and the 8GB stick is plugged into one of them while the other next to it is empty so I swapped over the ram into that other socket to try it out and reassembled the laptop but to no avail. :( Same thing happened with blue LED, black screen and fan whirring, nothing changed. I mean if the screen isn't working no matter what I do then I don't think it's just the RAM which is at fault, must be something to do with the motherboard I feel. I can't get the display to show anything, not even a flicker or any sign of life and the laptop sounds too quiet for it to be fully booted up so its internal organs must have died somewhere. Getting the motherboard replaced doesn't seem worthwhile and from what I've read it's better to just buy a new laptop if that's the case.

Was fun taking it apart though ;)

#12 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

Same thing happened with blue LED, black screen and fan whirring, nothing changed.

Did you also try connecting to your external screen.

#13 rever4217

rever4217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:31 AM

Yes I did! I tried the HDMI cable to my TV again and nup :/ . I also tried combinations like turning on my TV first then plugging the HDMI into the laptop and booting it up or booting it first then plugging it in but always same result lol.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I also changed the thermal paste that was applied to the cpu and gpu. I did this during the first various fixing tests before I posted on here to figure out how to solve my laptop. Safe to say that didn't work either :(.

Edited by rever4217, 10 November 2017 - 06:35 AM.

#14 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

All that is left is having your RAM tested or swapping in known good RAM and as an outside chance the power supply is flaky and not producing enough power try a known good alternative, both will most likely need to be done by a local tech or tech store I`m afraid  :angry:

JAFYI: MBs are more prone to failure than a CPU and for a CPU to fail first it would normally be as a result of 1: a manufacturing defect, 2: bad overclocking of the CPU or 3: CPU fan failure, so if your RAM checks out as being ok you are most likely looking at MB failure, this because #1 normally happens within a short period of the computer being new, #2 you have not done any overclocking and #3 your CPU cooling fan can still be heard working**

** You are certain that it is the CPU that you can hear working, some notebooks that have a dedicated video chip will most often have a cooling fan mounted atop of that as well, using Acer Aspire lV (info gained from your uploaded pics) for research results here there are various models that have different numbers and specifications, any idea of your exact model number.

#15 rever4217

rever4217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

It's a V3-572G-77T0. I have no idea how to tell if it's the cpu I hear working. I can hear the cooling fan running in one corner (next to the exhaust vents) and I think that's the hdd fan running in the opposite corner I can also hear running. When I open it up I can only see the one cooling fan in the corner directly next to the vents and then there's a copper tube which runs through the cpu and nvidia gpu. Since I can't see anything else that could be a fan I assumed the other fan I heard running was coming from the hdd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users