Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser safeguard removal problem. Can't find .exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimbo1701

jimbo1701

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:03 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I'm new to the forum and relatively outdated / superficial in my PC knowledge. Suffice to say I use my home laptop rarely these days. However, every time I switch it on I have the following issue that I was hoping someone may be able to help with.

About 3 years ago I downloaded some windows movie software (forget which) onto the laptop (windows 8) to try and splice together some our our holiday footage. Suffice to say I didn't get on well with the software and removed it, although in such a way that to this day my PC on startup tries to find browsersafeguard.exe. but can't. A black window comes up trying to find it followed by an error window stating that it can't be found.

I have read about browsersafeguard a lot on forums, although none of the help guides I have come across relate to this particular problem. Most of them relate to installing antivrus and malware cleaners and removing the program itself, which I believe to be long gone. (note, I have tried this many times in the hope it may work) As I understand it, the problem seems to be more that the PC is looking for the program and can't find it - what I'd like to know is how to stop it trying to look for/start it.

I hope that makes some sense. It doesn't impact on then operation of the PC but is darn annoying everytime it starts up. Thanks in advance for any help.

J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:04 PM

You can use Autoruns to find the item in the Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. The instructions for using it are in the

link below.

Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

There is another possibility of removing the startup entry in the registry. Download the free trial version of Safeguard and

install. Then use Revo uninstaller to uninstall it.

BrowserSafeguard

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users