Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retro PC gaming - how to play older games on a (reasonably) new PC)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo1701

jimbo1701

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:54 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I am mid-30s, not particularly into gaming for the past decade but have recently dug out some classic PC games such as unreal, starcraft etc from the last 90s/early 00s. I'm using a fairly basic laptop that's about 4 years old now (windows 8) and it won't run most of them, and in some case only runs in a small window extremely fast.

As you may have guessed, my PC knowledge is fairly superficial and dated now and I was wondering if anyone had any (laymans) explanation as to why they don't run and any way around this, as I'd love to revisit some of them for nostalgia. Thanks,

J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

Following

John

An Australian Living in the USA

#3 WithoutTeeth

WithoutTeeth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

StarCraft? Which part? You can download / buy Blood War Remaster version, it should work. Gameplay has not changed at all, only graphics. You can also run programs that are compatible with Windows 98 or XP, but that only helped me once.

#4 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

I'm hopeful you found a solution, since this is 10 days old. Have you tried Compatibility mode? You can right-click on the .exe file, then find Troubleshoot Compatibility and then follow the wizard. There are other ways to use Compatibility mode, ex. from Control Panel. I'm a mouse user but I know you can do the same in 8/8.1.

I hope that helps. If not, let us know the errors/screens you get and we'll try again.

Mac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users