Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

REQUEST: Anyone have a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Installed?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:29 PM

Does anyone have a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) installed on their computer? If so, can you create a screenshot of your device manager showing it? I think its listed under the security hardware.

Can you also run tpm.msc and send me a good screenshot of that screen as well with what it shows?

Need this for an article and do not have a newew computer to test this on.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

Here you go - this is on 64bit Windows 10 dual booting with windows7 on 4-5yrs old lenovo thinkpad

Attached File  2017-11-07_23-06-03-.TPM-Devjpg.jpg   125.45KB   1 downloads

Attached File  2017-11-07_23-07-22-TPM-Dev2.jpg   88.98KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2017-11-07_23-04-31-tpm-msc.jpg   135.69KB   0 downloads

Do you need other screenies?

I had to do run as Admin for tpm.msc.

Edited by tos226, 07 November 2017 - 11:14 PM.

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:58 PM

Hi, if for an article it would be wise to read through this:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/device-security/tpm/trusted-platform-module-top-node

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hi, if for an article it would be wise to read through this:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/device-security/tpm/trusted-platform-module-top-node

Thanks, but I know what a TPM is :)

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

Thanks TOS! If possible, you may want to see if an upgrade is available for the 2.0 specification.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:46 PM

Grinler, I've been here since you were running with scissors. But it doesn't mean I developed skills for everything, especially windows 7 and 10.
I don't think I can update TPM thingie any time soon.

I do have Security chip on the laptop. In BIOS security section it says it's active.
But
1. When I boot Windows 7, devices say it's on Intel QM77 express chipset LPC controller - 1E55, and tpm.msc says "compatible TPM cannot be found", so it's totally different from what I posted from Windows 10.
2. No idea if I'm to update things in BIOS (I hope not) and/or in which Windows.
3. I googled a lot, including the link jenae posted, and see many places where it says it's for Active Directory or corporations, or Bit locker, or UEFI (I use legacy boot), or ... or ... and nothing concrete about my exact T430s laptop.
So I hope you don't need my contribution any more because at this point it's a no go for me.
TPM 2.0 does sound like a better thing, so if I ever decide to do something, I'll start a new thread begging for advice. Or wait for your tutorial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users