Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba satellite pro L500 wireless adapter not working after clean install Win7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

Kia ora,

I am attempting to fix an old laptop for someone in our community, and have so far managed to work my way through a clean install of Windows 7, done all the Windows updates, verified Win 7 as genuine and the laptop is working fairly sweet.

Except for the wifi connection which is not working at all.

System details are as follows:

Win 7 all updated and genuine verified 64 bit

Realtek PCLe FE Family Controller with updated driver date 9/14/2017

I have updated the wireless network adapter driver with the latest version, uninstalled the device, checked the physical seating of the network card, run trouble shooters, checked wifi on/off switch Fn-F8, followed instructions as per a couple of videos on youtube, checked BIOS settings to make sure LAN enabled etc and tried a few different variations, and I am running out of ideas.

So any additional ideas would be grateful. I am only asking as this sort of things happens all the time, and I sometimes wonder if it is easier to just get a USB adapter for 7 bucks and save the hassle.

But something tells me there must be a reason. Maybe other drivers need to be updated, or something in the advanced settings in device properties?

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

Realtek PCLe FE Family Controller with updated driver date 9/14/2017

I believe this is your Ethernet chipset. Is there another Network Adapter listed in Device Manager. I may have a yellow exclamation mark next to it. If there is another network adapter besides the Realtek right click, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#3 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

Hi John,

There is one unknown device there, hardware ID is USB\unknown which makes sense as one of the USB ports wasn't working.

#4 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

I just ran HWinfo to see what that showed and it shows RealTek Semiconductor RTL8102E/8103E Fast Ethernet NIC, which is what I searched for when updating drivers.

Nothing else to do with network adapters.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:19 PM

USB\unknown was under the Network Adapter section of Device Manager? I don't know the exact model of the L500. There should be a alpha numeric number after the L500. According to the one support site I saw the driver was listed as a Realtek Wireless chipset. 

It seems Windows 7 is not detecting any Wifi chipset. 

It may be necessary to purchase a Wifi dongle that is plug and play. A good one is the Tplink nano.  

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5520_TL-WN725N.html

There are also cheap generic ones on ebay.

Edit: Does this computer have a Webcam?

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 November 2017 - 10:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users