Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning a Windows 2000 Pro Service Pack 4 computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

Hello,

I have a client in my workplace that has win 2000 pro service pack 4 on it and would like to clone this client since it has software that we do not have installation discs for. What is the best way to clone a win 2000 pro computer? Clonezilla? Using a device that will clone from an ide to a sata? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,545 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

If you plan on cloning to newer hardware with SATA hard drives there will be a problem as Windows 2000 will not have the SATA drivers installed. If you clone and attempt to boot you would probably get an error stating the OS could not be found. Normally on an install to a SATA hard drive the drivers are slipstreamed into the install media. This is the case with XP. The problem is your newer hardware may not have Windows 2000 drivers for the mass storage controller. 

I would recommend you look for an imaging program that can do bare metal restores. This is available in Macrium but not the free version. Others that can do this is Aomei and Easeus. Easeus will let you create a VM image which would be able to run in a VM machine. That may be your best option. I have no experience doing this but the support staff at the above mentioned companies should be able to help.

#4 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the great explanation. So if one of the companies you mentioned does bare metal restores, will I still have to slipstream the sata mass controller drivers so it will recognize the hard drive during boot up?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,545 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the great explanation. So if one of the companies you mentioned does bare metal restores, will I still have to slipstream the sata mass controller drivers so it will recognize the hard drive during boot up?

I believe that would be possible during the restore if you can find the drivers for the mass storage controller. The below link is for Macrium v5, it's currently at v7. You can see the steps for a bare metal restore.

http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/redeploy/redeploy_a_system_to_new_hardware.htm

#6 vpetkovic

vpetkovic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

Another solution, that I believe will work as far as VM creation goes, is using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone (found here: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info?slug=infrastructure_operations_management/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/6_0 and is free). It's pretty simple and straightforward to use, although what JohnC_21 suggested might be better solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users