Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Instant" and probably "heading to the grave" HDD failure

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,361 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

Yesterday, out of the blue, when I woke my HP 15-g035wm laptop up from hibernation it was virtually frozen (mouse would move, I could switch focus between windows, but not do much else) and the Disc Usage in Task Manager was staying solidly at 100% but with very little activity being shown when you sorted the column for Disc Usage.   After several attempts at restarting, and an attempt to do a System Restore, I got a failure that said there was a read error and that I should run a chkdsk /r on the drive.   I did just that and the chkdsk ran for just short of 18 hours, stalling at 18% for a very long period then suddenly going straight to 100% in the last few minutes.

Here's what popped up in the "Friendly View" of a Wininit Event that I found shortly after the system booted up:

--------------------------------

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is Windows. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... The allocated length 0xe0c000 is not in multiple of 0x10000 for attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x0. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc263c000 for 0x400 bytes. File record segment 98F0 is unreadable. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc263c400 for 0x400 bytes. File record segment 98F1 is unreadable. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc263c800 for 0x400 bytes. File record segment 98F2 is unreadable. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc263cc00 for 0x400 bytes. File record segment 98F3 is unreadable. 766976 file records processed. File verification completed. 7016 large file records processed. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc263c000 for 0x400 bytes. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc263c400 for 0x400 bytes. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc263c800 for 0x400 bytes. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xc263cc00 for 0x400 bytes. 4 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 30808 reparse records processed. Index entry Prism.Wpf.dll of index $I30 in file 0x74b4 points to unused file 0x98f0. Deleting index entry Prism.Wpf.dll in index $I30 of file 74B4. Index entry PRISMW~1.DLL of index $I30 in file 0x74b4 points to unused file 0x98f0. Deleting index entry PRISMW~1.DLL in index $I30 of file 74B4. Index entry PsParser.dll of index $I30 in file 0x74b4 points to unused file 0x98f1. Deleting index entry PsParser.dll in index $I30 of file 74B4. Index entry SimpleInjector.dll of index $I30 in file 0x74b4 points to unused file 0x98f2. Deleting index entry SimpleInjector.dll in index $I30 of file 74B4. Index entry SIMPLE~1.DLL of index $I30 in file 0x74b4 points to unused file 0x98f2. Deleting index entry SIMPLE~1.DLL in index $I30 of file 74B4. Index entry System.Net.Http.Extensions.dll of index $I30 in file 0x74b4 points to unused file 0x98f3. Deleting index entry System.Net.Http.Extensions.dll in index $I30 of file 74B4. Index entry SYSTEM~1.DLL of index $I30 in file 0x74b4 points to unused file 0x98f3. Deleting index entry SYSTEM~1.DLL in index $I30 of file 74B4. 956870 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. 30808 reparse records processed. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ... Cleaning up 12931 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 12931 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 12931 unused security descriptors. CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream Security descriptor verification completed. 94948 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... Usn Journal verification completed. Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ... 766960 files processed. File data verification completed. Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ... 18837051 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete. Adding 1 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File. Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) DATA attribute. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. No further action is required. 463084765 KB total disk space. 386596396 KB in 515724 files. 286412 KB in 94951 indexes. 4 KB in bad sectors. 853745 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 75348208 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 115771191 total allocation units on disk. 18837052 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 b4 0b 00 70 50 09 00 66 c2 10 00 00 00 00 00 ....pP..f....... ae 46 00 00 aa 31 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .F...1.......... Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

-----------------------------------

Also, here's a Speccy snapshot produced just after the machine rebooted from having run the chkdsk:  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/wMaEJRzmcqDpRAmjldmLiWJ

I find it interesting that all the SMART parameters are reported as "Good" even though there is a Reported Uncorrectable Error.

I am just curious if the above suggests any sort of specific mode of failure to those with far more experience with HDD hardware analysis than I have.

Also, is there a specific log that chkdsk runs generate and, if so, where can it be found?

I already realize this means the drive is on its way out.  There has been no excessive bumping and no "laptop drop" and the sudden nature of this failure makes me wonder what (if anything) I might have done to prevent it or should have noticed, but didn't.

Edited by britechguy, 07 November 2017 - 06:16 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

I am not a big fan of using the sleep or hibernate mode on any PC, desktop or laptop.  Just too many things happen to otherwise operating machines while in those modes.  It does seem that something is getting overwritten or changed that makes it impossible to get the unit back out of the mode or to boot properly afterwards.  I see this a lot on users units where it was left in hibernate and the power failed, leaving the unit powered down and unable to start up again.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,361 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

Well, I have to use sleep or hibernate when I need to retain "what was going on" and the machine is to be carried, without power, for hours at a minimum.

I have used hibernate without issue for years, and it certainly does not cause hard drive failure.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,541 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

I'm not sure the Uncorrectable Errors attributes makes a difference. Perhaps is depends on the drive. See the amount I have on a Hitachi using GsmartControl. All your other attributes are good. I would run the long test using Seatools for Windows.

Attached Files

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,361 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

John,

Will try the SeaTools long test overnight tonight and report back tomorrow.   

All I know is that I had some sort of major, major "burp" related to the HDD and the NTFS index.  Even Search Everything (voidtools.com) which works like a charm using the system indices went berserk and couldn't find anything until the chkdsk had completed.  I've also lost some saved settings that had been stable for many months.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,541 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

On a 500GB drive it should be done by tomorrow if you start it off now. If the drive passes you may want to also test your memory. Let Memtest run for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,361 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:06 PM

John,

Already kicked off the long test.

I have no reason to believe, not even the slightest hint, that memory is failing.  I can run Memtest tomorrow overnight.

Even though I have been in this business since 1985 I am still mystified by certain failures and why no one can ever seem to explain why they occur (including myself).  What's most amusing, for some value of amusing, is that these issues decided to do their first "show" when I was working with a client yesterday whose own machine is having odd freezes and programs shutting down for no apparent reason.  That client's machine appears to be as clean as a whistle when all the usual antivirus and antimalware tools complete their scans.   I hate having to tell someone that they should either consider a new computer, or backing up all their user data and reinstalling Windows (7 in this case) and all applications again from scratch.  But when it comes to these sorts of weirdness I have never found it useful to even attempt to get to the root cause from an expense perspective nor, generally, from an "it's all fixed" perspective because the issues seem to creep back in pretty quickly.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:17 PM

I hope you have recent, restorable, full image backups on external media somewhere -- before this all happened...(reRead the thread, got it) -- press on BriTechGuy!   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 08 November 2017 - 01:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,361 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

OK, so what is SeaTools supposed to look like when the Long Generic test is in process?   This is what it's looked like in it's Window from moments after it was started last night:

Attached File  SeaTools_Long_Generic.jpg   50.53KB   0 downloads

I ran the SMART check in SeaTools before kicking this off because I knew that would be almost instant, and it was.  I am surprised that there is no status bar or no status bar change if the "Test Status" is supposed to be marking test progress.  The process is still running but I'm not seeing much disk activity at all.  I'm also posting from "the problem machine" and it's been behaving well otherwise since the chkdsk finished.

I certainly don't want to abort the test if it's actually still doing something, but if it is this tool does a horrible job of letting you know that anything is continuing to progress.

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

[Britechguy Quote post #7]

I have never found it useful to even attempt to get to the root cause from an expense perspective nor, generally, from an "it's all fixed" perspective because the issues seem to creep back in pretty quickly.

You are right and the"it's all fixed" has only been temporary in my attempts to repair hard drives.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,361 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

Aborted the Long Generic test and will retry tonight.  I have no idea why it started but did not progress at all.  I had nothing but SeaTools running overnight, all other applications were shut down.  This time I'll get out of everything before kicking off the test.

Kicked off a ShortDST and at 90% I'm getting the "ShortDST - FAIL" message.  It also seems to be hanging at 90%, at least at the moment.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,541 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:21 AM

If you get the short test fail then I believe the drive is toast. I probably should have suggested the short test first but I would have thought you would have received that same error out of the chute on the long test. 

I currently running the long test using Seatools and the it's giving regular updates on the progress with a finish time. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 November 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,361 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

John,

I agree that if a short test is telling me "FAILED" that the drive is, ultimately, toast even if it functions at the present moment.  I did take a full backup just a few days before this "blessed event" and have not created additional files in any great number since then.

In addition to having several Macrium system image backups I also have a very recent EaseUS system image backup (I've been playing with it because I wanted to find something that's more "amateur friendly,") and use the File History feature of Windows 10, so retrieving my user data should be a cinch.  I also think I'll take a user data backup with EaseUS, as that can't hurt, either.

I'm currently waffling over whether to buy a new drive to upgrade my storage (which I may end up doing no matter what) or just getting an entirely new laptop and dealing with this one as an afterthought.  I'm leaning toward the new laptop and then having this one, once a new drive is installed, as my "emergency backup."

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

I haven't figured out what really goes on when a unit is in the sleep or hibernate mode.  The units that have exhibited faults after or during a wake-up were unrecoverable from the hard drive.  It's like something is getting written to the drive that is corrupting the OS.  I've seen it happen with every WIN OS since WIN98.  I recommend to users not to use those two functions just to forestall any possibility of anything happening.  Too many units just fail to awaken and never boot again, others have read errors and more than a few have had clock tracks corrupted.  Having backups can make recovery possible and in some cases where the clock track was damaged, the drive was returned to operation with a re-format and reinstall of the OS and then backups were possible.  It doesn't  appear to be a drive manufacturer fault as it has happened to all mfgrs and sizes.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,541 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

John,

I agree that if a short test is telling me "FAILED" that the drive is, ultimately, toast even if it functions at the present moment.  I did take a full backup just a few days before this "blessed event" and have not created additional files in any great number since then.

In addition to having several Macrium system image backups I also have a very recent EaseUS system image backup (I've been playing with it because I wanted to find something that's more "amateur friendly,") and use the File History feature of Windows 10, so retrieving my user data should be a cinch.  I also think I'll take a user data backup with EaseUS, as that can't hurt, either.

I'm currently waffling over whether to buy a new drive to upgrade my storage (which I may end up doing no matter what) or just getting an entirely new laptop and dealing with this one as an afterthought.  I'm leaning toward the new laptop and then having this one, once a new drive is installed, as my "emergency backup."

Brian, I believe you already know this but Easeus will let you mount the image on the USB external to a virtual drive letter allowing you to pull any file out of that image. Macrium does this too albeit easier as all you need to do is double click the image on the USB external to launch the mount wizard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users