Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I get my Ethernet IP back

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 okayokay

okayokay

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

When trying to do something, I went to Control Panel > Network and Intrnet > Ethernet (right click) > Internet rotocol version 4 > Properties, and I changed to "Obtain an IP Address Automaticaly" and "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically". For some reason, the comptuter is not able to do that, and if I go to Control Panel > Network and Intrnet > Ethernet (right click) > Diagnose, it says that it does not have a valid IP address. Now that leaes me with one question, IS THERE A WAY TO GET ALL OF THEM (IP, subnet, defaul gateway, dns 1 & 2) BACK?! Thanks in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Do you know what the IP addresses were before you made the change?

I'm guessing you don't have a router.  How is your computer connected to the Internet?

#3 okayokay

okayokay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

I honestly did not know that it would be so permanent & important, so I did not jot it down. How I wish...

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

Still need to know how you're connected to the Internet.  You might try power cycling the device that connects you to the Internet and see if your machine will get an IP address from it.  Other than that, you're probably going to have to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to have them let you know what the addresses should be.

#5 okayokay

okayokay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

My bad, I did not see the second part of your reply.

You were right, I am connected via ethernet to a Billion 3100SN wi-fi extender. The extender is not conneted to the internet (trying to do that led to this problem)

Thanks for the welcome!

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

Now we're getting somewhere.  You need to configure the Billion 3100SN.  Set your IPv4 address to 192.168.1.100.  Open a web browser and go to 192.168.1.253 then you should be connected to the Billion 3100SN so that you can configure it.

What is your goal?

#7 okayokay

okayokay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

I AM CURRENTLY GIVING YOU INTERNET HUGS

My ultimate goal is to configure the Billion (which is way too unecessariy hard). But if I can at least make sure I am able to ethernet in future, that would also be good

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

After you get the Billion device configured you'll probably want to put your settings back to obtain an IP address automatically.  Let me know if you need any additional assistance.  I may not know, but should be able to figure it out.

#9 okayokay

okayokay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:15 PM

I shall. The assistance is much appreciated! 

Have a good day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users