Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selective Backup from Apple Mail Email Database, is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JakeBoucher

JakeBoucher

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hello everyone,

I run Apple Mail as my daily email client and I receive multiple emails on regular basis. One mistake that I made was that I kept my professional as well as personal email same. Now I have realized this mistake and after much searching and sorting, I have separated work-related emails from personal ones. No, I am looking to backup the personal email database only. How can I do this? I am not able to find a solution for this particular problem, would be very thankful if anyone of you could provide the solution. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 petronor

petronor

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:08 PM

Are your personal emails still on the server e.g. Outlook, YourISP server.

If so, just setup the email account on Thunderbird. Download your emails into Thunderbird. Then 

remove the settings from Thunderbird.

#3 KennethCoblentz

KennethCoblentz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

Here is what I have learned from the internet about this situation of your's:

If you are using time machine. You may exclude items from a Time Machine backup as follows:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click Time Machine.
  3. After having enabled Time Machine and chosen a backup disk, click Options.
  4. Click + to specify an item that is not to be backed up. The backup disk is included on this list automatically so that it does not back up itself.

Another option is to get an application that has features for such things. I researched a bit and found that an application form InventPure called the Mail Backup X provides multiple features for email backup on Mac. This also involves selective email/folder backup and restoration. You can easily find the app here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Mail-Backup-X.shtml

I hope this solves your purpose. Thanks

#4 JakeBoucher

JakeBoucher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

Here is what I have learned from the internet about this situation of your's:

If you are using time machine. You may exclude items from a Time Machine backup as follows:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click Time Machine.
  3. After having enabled Time Machine and chosen a backup disk, click Options.
  4. Click + to specify an item that is not to be backed up. The backup disk is included on this list automatically so that it does not back up itself.

Another option is to get an application that has features for such things. I researched a bit and found that an application form InventPure called the Mail Backup X provides multiple features for email backup on Mac. This also involves selective email/folder backup and restoration. You can easily find the app here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Mail-Backup-X.shtml

I hope this solves your purpose. Thanks

I would like to prefer the second option. I don't mind spending a few bucks for some software, but indeed this is a good one and gets the job done easily. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users