Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast owners hire Rothschild for $4 billion software IPO

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

MADRID/LONDON (Reuters) - The owners of Avast Software have hired Rothschild to prepare the business for a share sale which could value one of the world’s most used providers of computer antivirus software at as much as $4 billion, four sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.

CVC Capital Partners [CVC.UL], which took control of the Prague-based company in 2014, could seek an initial public offering (IPO) in London for Avast in the first half of next year if market conditions allow, two of the sources said.

If successful, Avast’s IPO would represent the largest ever UK technology IPO. However, it would have to navigate a tough market, which has seen a number of planned London listings pulled in recent weeks.

Interest in cyber security companies has risen as a series of global cyber attacks this year have disrupted businesses and government services worldwide, including the National Health Service (NHS) in England.

Avast’s enterprise value has more than tripled in recent years following a series of bolt-on acquisitions including a $1.3 billion swoop on U.S. rival AVG Technologies in 2016 and the purchase of London-based optimization software firm Piriform in July for an undisclosed amount.

Article

If Avast does go public do you think the shareholders will allow CCleaner and it's other programs to be free? I'm not sure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:30 PM

Well...I believe that it's clear that Avast is interested in raising money as a corporate entity....and freeware does not fit into such plans, IMO.

Unless such freeware serves only as a false front for the real goal of expanding its database of customers.  We all know how users tend to install and use apps based on perceived familiarity patterns...not need or relative merits of each program...particularly new, unsophisticated users who still think that brand naming assures quality of product.

It has long been a basic tenet of retail stores...that the way to increase revenues from products...is to have "loss leaders" lure naive shoppers into the store, where the more profitable items are sold at premium pricing.  That may explain the focus on "free tools" by Avast as part of a basic global marketing strategy.

I find it interesting that the Avast website touts Ccleaner as a registry cleaner and optimization tool.  Info.

When one considers that Avast already has added AVG TuneUp and Avast Cleanup to it's software offereings...it would appear to me that the emphasis is no longer on providing quality AV software...but a distinct shift to providing (IMO) questionable "utilities" for users who neither understand just why they should not use such tools nor the premise that such tools are, in fact, totally unnecessary.

Louis

#3 dallae1

dallae1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

Well...I believe that it's clear that Avast is interested in raising money as a corporate entity....and freeware does not fit into such plans, IMO.

Unless such freeware serves only as a false front for the real goal of expanding its database of customers.  We all know how users tend to install and use apps based on perceived familiarity patterns...not need or relative merits of each program...particularly new, unsophisticated users who still think that brand naming assures quality of product.

It has long been a basic tenet of retail stores...that the way to increase revenues from products...is to have "loss leaders" lure naive shoppers into the store, where the more profitable items are sold at premium pricing.  That may explain the focus on "free tools" by Avast as part of a basic global marketing strategy.

I find it interesting that the Avast website touts Ccleaner as a registry cleaner and optimization tool.  Info.

When one considers that Avast already has added AVG TuneUp and Avast Cleanup to it's software offereings...it would appear to me that the emphasis is no longer on providing quality AV software...but a distinct shift to providing (IMO) questionable "utilities" for users who neither understand just why they should not use such tools nor the premise that such tools are, in fact, totally unnecessary.

Louis

Holly molly didn't realize avast bought avg.  I must be living under a rock

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,952 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

Avast announced the agreement to acquire AVG in 06 Jul 2016.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,376 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

Unless such freeware serves only as a false front for the real goal of expanding its database of customers.  . . .

That may explain the focus on "free tools" by Avast as part of a basic global marketing strategy.

Louis

I generally agree with almost everything you say, except that freeware does not fit into such plans.

Freeware has been used as a marketing tool for decades now by multiple companies with precisely the goal you mention:  expanding [their] database[s] of customers (many of whom go to the paid versions of said software or purchase other offerings).

I doubt that we're going to see Avast or anyone else stop marketing via freeware versions of a lot of their offerings.

I'd been living under a rock, too, as I had no idea that Avast had acquired AVG.  Of course, that's probably because I stopped using AVG (which had been my go-to antivirus) after it started to become exquisitely oversensitive to non-threats and never liked the hassle of Avast's licensing scheme for its free version which, when I used it, required yearly renewal.  I want my antivirus to be "set it and forget it" except for when threats, and real ones, are detected and quarantined.  It appears that stealth monopolies (as I like to call them) are becoming the trendy thing across industries.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:18 PM

This is starting to look like bad news for avast users (I use the free version), and what with the degradation of the interface across the last few versions it might be time to flee windows entirely and head to linux permanently where an antivirus won't be necessary.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,952 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:04 AM

Years ago i ran AVG { 2010 } and when it became Bloated or useless in detections i gave up and removed it.

Moved to Avast afterwoods and never looked back , currently i run Program Version 2015.10.2.2218 and it serves it purpose and still detects viruses etc , some will post i should install the latest Version , but why ? it aint broken.

Older Pcs , Laptops i repair i,ll just install an earlier version eg: XP / Vista / Win 7 , albeit Users need to be vigilant and weary of where they go and what they click.

Even when i have ventured on to dubious sites i have been hit by somethings , and Avast has Blocked it immediatly and Quarantined it.

I dont stress to much anyway with an Image of my C:/ at hand , 10 min backup running , yet its been 5-6 yrs ive had to use it. 

In the event Avast starts to go backwards , or with any merges or acquisitions , or not being Free , etc etc , i,ll do the same as i did with AVG , and uninstall Avast and find something else that suits my needs and works , competition will always be around.

Note:   CCleaner free version i have current will last another 5 yrs and will suffice to do my cleanups , they cant make me uninstall it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users