Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 15-ba011cy Laptop - Why are *all* available refurbished?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:35 AM

Since I think I may have a major hard drive failure occurring on my HP 15-g035wm, and feel like I'm due for an upgrade anyway, I started looking around at what's available in laptops with AMD A-Series APUs, as I have been very pleased with both machines in my household that sport these APUs (one an A6 the other an A8) for the purposes that we use them for.

I notice that the HP 15-ba011cy, which sports an A12-9700P Quad Core APU, 12GB of RAM, and a 2TB HDD (HP's own website says hybrid in the 2TB), are available all over the place, but the odd thing is that all of them are refurbished.  It strikes me as very odd that not a single vendor has these as new, particularly since the A12 itself is not all that old nor is this particular model from what I've been able to find.

I'm wondering if somehow HP had a majorly botched release with these such that some critical component that was initially installed in all of them "went south" unexpectedly and that they were required to bring a large number of them back in under warranty or for exchange.  If that's the case and "generation two" of whatever went into refurbishing them works just fine then I'm happy to grab one and take the savings that comes with.   If, however, the refurbished generation is known for any "sudden death" failures in a short time frame then I'd rather avoid them like the plague.

I'm just curious if anyone has heard any "word on the street" regarding this particular model simply because I can't find a single one of them that's new, which is really, really odd.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Licorice-15-g035wm-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B00P1ESHWI

Laptop models come and go so quickly that I suspect most vendors will not carry a given product line for an extended period.  From what I see, these systems date to summer 2016 and were readily available for quick sale (Walmart and others).

Louis

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 5,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Louis,

I'm not asking about the 15-g035wm, as that's what I own and those systems date from 2014.

I can't figure out why all of these HP 15-ba011cy laptops, which use an APU introduced in May 2016, which is not all that long ago (when you look at the fact that there are still lots of machines still currently being produced with older AMD A-Series APUs) are showing up only as refurbished.  Not finding a single example of a new one, anywhere, strikes me as exceptionally odd.

I thought someone who is a "hardware geek" who might keep their ear to the ground on hardware launches might know something, as I've never seen something like this before.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users