Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bought new straight talk phone. it came with verizon apn locked in.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 don wolfani

don wolfani

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

have tried for days, no answer in sight.   have called straight talk and even directly asked them to remove the faulty apn, and yet it is still there.   vzwinternet type apn setting is stuck in my device, and all settings are greyed out so i cannot reset or remove, device is not rooted as i need to have a working phone that is not a brick for job hunting.    is there a way to remove these broken apn settings to get data access so i may use the phone without having to camp in mcdonalds for wifi?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

Straight Talk is a service provided by Tracfone which is locked to the Verizon network. If you purchased the phone as new it will remained locked with Tracfone until 12 months have passed. After that time frame Tracfone is required to unlock the phone. Some of the earlier Tracfone phones could not be unlocked and the FCC required Tracfone to provide another phone or purchase the phone back.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/tracfone-phone-unlocking-program

You will need to either activate the phone with Straight Talk or return the phone. You may be able to activate with Tracfone but I am not sure.

Phones with a required lock to a particular service are usually offered at steep discounts. You can look for unlocked phones on either Ebay or local.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 November 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#3 don wolfani

don wolfani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

Straight Talk is a service provided by Tracfone which is locked to the Verizon network. If you purchased the phone as new it will remained locked with Tracfone until 12 months have passed. After that time frame Tracfone is required to unlock the phone. Some of the earlier Tracfone phones could not be unlocked and the FCC required Tracfone to provide another phone or purchase the phone back.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/tracfone-phone-unlocking-program

You will need to either activate the phone with Straight Talk or return the phone. You may be able to activate with Tracfone but I am not sure.

Phones with a required lock to a particular service are usually offered at steep discounts. You can look for unlocked phones on either Ebay or local.

this phone is activated on straighttalk.  came from the green straight talk box with verizon apn preinstalled and offers no option to delete or add a new apn so that i have data access.       I have call and txt but no data access at all because this vzwinternet apn is neither straight talk nor does it allow my phone to get a ip number on cell data

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

I would contact Straight Talk customer support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users