Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website for 2018 Antivirus software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pusssykatt

pusssykatt

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

Thank you Bleepin' Janitor because the first place I did look was PCMag, and I appreciate the heads up regarding their reviews. Also thank you for the "Summary of steps to replace an existing anti-virus" if I do change. I am currently using Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security Plus and have for the past 3 years. I am pleased with it, since I run it on Windows 7 and Windows XP, which I use just to upload FTP files. When I talked to a rep to renew my subscription I felt like I was being pressured to buy something I wasn't sure about. There was talk of a price this year, but it would double next year as that would be the 3.5 year mark...it just didn't feel right. Anyways can anyone suggest a website that does fair antivirus software comparisons.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,942 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

As I noted in another recent topic, there are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, Anti-Malware Test Lab, MRG-Effitas, etc.

However, these kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, objectivity and data results. Read Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization: AMTSO Fundamental Principles of Testing.

Each security vendor uses their own testing/analysis methodology to identify various types of malware so the detection results are not always the same.Further, some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TESTs new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual testthey may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same certification as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 pusssykatt

pusssykatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

Thanks!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,942 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#5 santiano

santiano

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:19 AM

As potentially unwanted programs are hampering day by day. The Best internet security is needed. As I am a newbie and enhancing my knowledge of antivirus software. Today many products are available and to choose the best one is very confusing. A right methodology for selecting antivirus is required. Thanks for this informative post. 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,942 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users