Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVI-I to VGA adapter displays no signal on VGA monitor. URGENT PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Viking_Tom

Viking_Tom

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

Hi, so I recently build a new PC, and when I inserted my GPU I saw that there was only a DVI-I output (which is a problem since I only have a VGA monitor and cable). So I bought a DVI-I to VGA adapter and connected it to my GPU and then connected my VGA cable to the adapter and last, the cable to the monitor. When I use my brother's monitor and go to Display Settings it shows that it has detected another monitor but that monitor displays the no signal error. There can't be anything wrong with the adapter since I asked for a new, and it had the same problem, I also tried with a different VGA monitor and VGA cable but it had the same results. My GPU is the Asus STRIX 1070 8gb OC with a DVI-I output, The adapter is a male DVI-I and a female VGA.

Just bombard me with all your suggestions because I need this fixed ASAP

Sorry if I posted this thread in the wrong forum, I couldn't find the right one for this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Viking_Tom

Viking_Tom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

Can an admin please move this post to External hardware? I just realized there was a forum for these kinds of issues.

Edited by Viking_Tom, 07 November 2017 - 08:42 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,523 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:27 AM

According to this page showing the GTX1070-O8G the specs are

DVI Output : Yes x 1 (Native) (DVI-D)
HDMI Output : Yes x 2 (Native) (HDMI 2.0)
Display Port : Yes x 2 (Native) (Regular DP)
HDCP Support : Yes

The DVI port is DVI-D, not DVi-I.  This will not work with a DVI to VGA adapter as DVI-D is digital and VGA is analog.

I am not sure if I have the correct model number but you can verify it by looking at the DVI port.

Edit: Does your monitor have a HDMI port? 

181px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png
Edit Edit: If your port is DVI-D you will need a more expensive DVI-D to VGA active adapter if you do not have a HDMI port on the monitor.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 November 2017 - 10:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users