Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I upgrade my wireless card to a dualband?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KyroFox

KyroFox

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

Will this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00864Q45W/ (Intel 62205ANHMW - Advanced-N 6205 card) fit into an older laptop? Laptop in question is an Acer Aspire 5742Z PEW71 which currently has a Qualcomm Atheros model: QCWB355

I am running windows 10, Intel i5. Done a few upgrades already to the laptop. I would upgrade to a newer laptop but this one is still going strong, I just need something that isn't external that can allow me to have access to dualband so I can connect to my 5GHz network. 

If it's not compatible, is there any dualband card that may be compatible? 
I am willing to flash my BIOS or anything to allow me to use dualband, it's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new laptop that supports it, just recently after upgrading my router to a TP-LINK it keeps dropping on the 2.4GHz network but my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which is connected to the 5GHz isn't having any problems. 
It just keeps jumping on my laptop. I've looked around and I can't find anything to do with upgrading an Acer Aspire 5742Z's network card. I have only heard of people saying it works on a 5750 Aspire. It's cheap, should I gamble it or wait until I know for sure? 

Thank you.

Edited by KyroFox, 06 November 2017 - 08:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:50 AM

Will this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00864Q45W/ (Intel 62205ANHMW - Advanced-N 6205 card) fit into an older laptop? Laptop in question is an Acer Aspire 5742Z PEW71 which currently has a Qualcomm Atheros model: QCWB355

I am running windows 10, Intel i5. Done a few upgrades already to the laptop. I would upgrade to a newer laptop but this one is still going strong, I just need something that isn't external that can allow me to have access to dualband so I can connect to my 5GHz network. 

If it's not compatible, is there any dualband card that may be compatible? 
I am willing to flash my BIOS or anything to allow me to use dualband, it's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new laptop that supports it, just recently after upgrading my router to a TP-LINK it keeps dropping on the 2.4GHz network but my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which is connected to the 5GHz isn't having any problems. 
It just keeps jumping on my laptop. I've looked around and I can't find anything to do with upgrading an Acer Aspire 5742Z's network card. I have only heard of people saying it works on a 5750 Aspire. It's cheap, should I gamble it or wait until I know for sure? 

Thank you.

Your link provided, takes me to an Acer Community Forum, not amazon.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

The best solution would probably get to get a USB wireless.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users