Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Want to Re-Install Windows 10 On my Fedora/Linux Laptop.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

Hey guys! I sure hope you can help me with this. I've gone to several other forums and no dice so far.

Here's the deal:

My laptop came with Windows 10 Installed on it.

Near the beginning of the year, I made the switch to linux (I wanted to get into IT and thought learning linux would help, but things happened to put that aspiration on hold). So I installed Fedora 25 (I believe, I don't actually know).

Long story short: it's not working. I don't like how complicated it is and I don't have the time to learn everything right now, so I want to revert to Windows 10 and get back to simple computing! No more headaches!

Here's the problem: I have tried to create a bootable USB with the windows 10 ISO on it, seen here:

https://s19.postimg.org/i58am6agz/IMG_20171106_140554448.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/jk9vawypf/IMG_20171106_140632154_HDR.jpg

But when I restart my computer, nothing happens.

YES, I have tried to change the boot options, seen here: https://s19.postimg.org/8w64c59bn/IMG_20171106_135204944.jpg

But despite that, nothing. It's frustrating to say the least!

Help me out if you can, thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

Is your USB Formated with FAT32? I️ am not sure what you used to create your Windows Boot Disk Boot would recommend downloading the Windows 10 ISO and create your USB drive with Rufus as shown on the following link:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

If this doesn’t work then I️ would recommend creating DVD of the Windows Install and not from it.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

It seems you are attempting to create the bootable USB on the linux box. What did you use to create the bootable USB? If you only have access to the linux computer did you use Unetbootin to create the bootable USB?

What is the make and model of the computer or the MB if a custom build?

#4 SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

Is your USB Formated with FAT32? I️ am not sure what you used to create your Windows Boot Disk Boot would recommend downloading the Windows 10 ISO and create your USB drive with Rufus as shown on the following link:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

If this doesn’t work then I️ would recommend creating DVD of the Windows Install and not from it.

Hi dmccoyks.

I used "multi-writer". I've not tried Rufus. It's extremely difficult to install Windows programs on a Linux OS (can you guess why I want to switch back?)

Now, when I go to format the USB, there is no FAT32 option. The closest that it has is "FAT"

The options for formatting are:

- FAT

- NTFS

- Ext4

- LUKS + Ext4

There's also a custom option, and I tried "FAT32" by typing that in the space provided, but the following error comes up:

Creation of File Type FAT32 not supported (udisks-error-quark, 11)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,561 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:25 PM

Fedora should have the app call disks. You should see the USB formatted as Fat32.

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/10820/how-do-i-reformat-a-usb-drive/

What happens if you disable Legacy Support in your UEFI settings. For Windows 10 UEFI should be enabled instead of Legacy.

#6 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:46 PM

Then I️ recommend that you either format using the following or disk part, unless you are using Linux then follow the last post

http://filehippo.com/download_hp_usb_disk_storage_format_tool/

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:49 AM

Find a friend/relative that has a windows pc that will let you use Microsoft's creation tool for Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It will format your usb drive and let you select the proper version of 10 that your laptop needs (requires an 8gb usb drive)

Edited by Joe C, 07 November 2017 - 07:50 AM.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,908 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:04 PM

Fedora should have the app call disks. You should see the USB formatted as Fat32.

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/10820/how-do-i-reformat-a-usb-drive/

What happens if you disable Legacy Support in your UEFI settings. For Windows 10 UEFI should be enabled instead of Legacy.

In addition to what John is suggesting

Of course the easy thing would be to just Burn a DVD.

Here is a LINK that will show you how to do this with USB on Linux.  I have never used this method, I would play it safe and Burn Image to DVD.

Edited by pcpunk, 07 November 2017 - 08:05 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

Out of interest what was not working with the fedora linux install? Did you just find fedore to be the wrong OS for you or was it suffering actual bugs and some kind of incompatibility with your hardware?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

Hey guys, thank you all for the great replies so far!

Thanks to JoeC, I did in fact enlist my brother to help me out and made a bootable USB!

Unfortunately, the USB did not work.

It booted fine and I got to choose what language of windows I wanted etc, but when it came time to choose a partition to put it on, it didn't let me put it on the one that was my main.

I tried formatting it, I tried deleting it, but nothing.

The computer eventually would only boot up in rescue mode, but I was able to get back into linux. Seems my computer is defaulted towards linux

Is there any way to get the windows part of my computer running? Any way to access it?

Or is there another solution I'm not thinking of?

@pcpunk: I don't have a DVD/CD drive. USB only.

@rp88: For one, the drive I allocated to linux is very small. So I can't store much on my computer. For another, a few programs don't work as intended. For three, I find the interface to be bland. I liked how windows had thumbnails, for example.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,561 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:50 PM

Boot your Windows 10 USB. At the screen where language is listed press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart             Opens the diskpart command window

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the number associated with the disk you will be installing Windows 10 to. On a single disk computer this will be 0

clean                 Deletes all partitions including your linux partitions. 

convert GPT     Required for UEFI computers which yours is if it come pre-installed with Windows 10

exit

exit

continue with the install. If you still have issues then substitute clean all for clean in the above command. This will zero the drive. You will know the operation is finished when you see the diskpart prompt again. I am assuming your install failed because the disk was formatted with a linux file system which Windows does not recognize.

There is no need to partition and format the drive. Windows will do this automatically. 

You can follow this guide which is for Windows 8 but the steps are good for 10. You will not have any partitions shown after the clean command. Click next at that window. If you do see partitions then do a clean all as I posted. 

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 November 2017 - 05:54 PM.

#12 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:58 PM

Are you trying to do a clean install or an upgrade of Windows 10? Also remember that this will remove Everything off your computer so make sure you have current backup.

If you are doing Clean install it sounds like you might need help in a couple of areas.

1. When you get to the screen that gives you the option to choose either to Upgrade or Perform a Custom Install - Select Custom Install

2. The next screen will show you a list existing of Partitions on your drive -Select each one (starting at the bottom), then click delete until there is only a single (one) unallocated drive displayed in the window.

3. Select the unallocated drive listed, click New, click Apply then OK

4. Wait while Windows installs

Let me know if any more questions or how it goes

#13 SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

Thanks guys! You're the best!

I do have a few questions before I try this out:

I am assuming your install failed because the disk was formatted with a linux file system which Windows does not recognize

The USB was formatted and created using my brother's Windows computer. Does that change your advice in any way?

Are you trying to do a clean install or an upgrade of Windows 10? Also remember that this will remove Everything off your computer so make sure you have current backup.

If you are doing Clean install it sounds like you might need help in a couple of areas.

1. When you get to the screen that gives you the option to choose either to Upgrade or Perform a Custom Install - Select Custom Install

2. The next screen will show you a list existing of Partitions on your drive -Select each one (starting at the bottom), then click delete until there is only a single (one) unallocated drive displayed in the window.

3. Select the unallocated drive listed, click New, click Apply then OK

4. Wait while Windows installs

Let me know if any more questions or how it goes

I'm trying to do a clean install. I want liunux gone, and Windows 10 back (this computer originally had Windows 10 on it, I just can't access it).

Everything is backed up already. :)

I already have deleted a few drives. It doesn't remove them from the window, however. They just show up as unallocated space. Does this make any difference?

I did try to install windows on the biggest unallocated space but it said something like "windows cannot be installed on this" or something.

If that doesn't change anything, I'll try installing this right away.

Thanks again guys!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,561 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

I was not referring to the USB flash drive but the hard drive that was formatted for linux.  Did you use the clean command? The clean all command would take care of your problem as this will zero the drive. Follow the commands I posted but use clean all. When you get to the below window click next. The drive should show as unallocated space and no partitions. Edit: remember to use the GPT convert command.

windows-8-clean-install-10-5807121f5f9b5

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 November 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#15 SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:22 PM

I was not referring to the USB flash drive but the hard drive that was formatted for linux.  Did you use the clean command? The clean all command would take care of your problem as this will zero the drive. Follow the commands I posted but use clean all. When you get to the below window click next. The drive should show as unallocated space and no partitions. Edit: remember to use the GPT convert command.

windows-8-clean-install-10-5807121f5f9b5

Hey man! Thanks for all your help!

I'm a bit of a noob so forgive my caution, but I hit my first bump:

When doing that Shift+F10 thing, it shows 2 Drives as follows (GB Values are based off my poor memory):

Drive 0                              989GB

Drive 1                               15 GB

Which one should I choose? Or how should I proceed?

Thanks JonhC!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users