Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up to 2 external drives?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

I wanted to start performing a backup to 2 external drives at the same time. Is this possible? I researched this and it appears that Windows File History in Win10 doesn't work with more than 1 drive. It seems that File History establishes a "link" with the same drive to backup in the future, and if another drive is introduced, it wouldn't recognize it. But I am using Windows 7 at the moment, and I assume the Backup and Recovery is the same in regards to the relationship with 2 drives.

Are there any programs that would allow me to backup to 2 external drives at the same time?

Edited by hamluis, 06 November 2017 - 08:03 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

As far as I know..;only if you are using some type of RAID for the backup drives.  Info.

Every piece of backup software that I've ever played with...asks for one specific location for the backup made.

Louis

#3 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

Alright, thanks. But if I were to implement RAID, would I have to keep the 2 drives connected to the computer the whole time or just plug them in say- 1 a week to sync?

You see, I don't want to have my backup drives connected the whole time, since I want to stay away from a ransomware attack(although I think it is highly unlikely that it can occur).

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

Ok, do like I do with Macrium Reflect and Image for Windows -- simply make each backup twice, the first full image of your OS partition backup onto external drive A and then the second full image of your OS partition backup onto external drive B.  And, do the same with any other partitions you want to back up.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 November 2017 - 09:36 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

I don't recommend you use RAID for backup drives. I don't know how one would accomplish this on USB externals if this is what your are using. From my understanding Microsoft is deprecating their system image backup feature in the new Fall Creators Update.

I know of no software that would let you back up to 2 drives at the same time. If by File History you mean file/folder backup and not a full image backup you can use a program like Easeus Todo Backup Free to create a file/folder backup to one drive then copy that image to another. I see no advantage of using two external drives unless perhaps you were going to store one offsite. Having the files on your main computer and a USB external seems sufficient to me.

Easeus allows full disk image backup and file/folder backup, both full, incremental, and differential and the ability to also schedule the backups. If you do a full disk image backup to the USB external Easeus allows you to mount the image on the external hard drive as a virtual drive allowing you to copy any file out of the image. Easeus also allows you to create bootable media should you need to restore the image to an unbootable OS or to a new hard drive should the OS drive fail.

https://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

"...I see no advantage of using two external drives unless perhaps you were going to store one offsite..."

I need to mildly disagree.  I have two dedicated pancake-sized platter-driven usb ext 1TB HD for each computer.

Every now and then, one of the two develops a "logical error" -- forcing a format, and usually I then do a full format to make sure.  If one of the two develops a physical failure, whether imminent or immediate, I still have the other one; I merely have to replace the bad one.

So far, I have never had both backup hard-drives fail at the same time.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 November 2017 - 09:40 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#7 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

To RolandJS: I was looking for an automatic solution, if possible.

To JohnC_21: "you can use a program like Easeus Todo Backup Free to create a file/folder backup to one drive then copy that image to another." So, does Easeus does this process automatically?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,563 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

To RolandJS: I was looking for an automatic solution, if possible.

To JohnC_21: "you can use a program like Easeus Todo Backup Free to create a file/folder backup to one drive then copy that image to another." So, does Easeus does this process automatically?

No, you would need to do this manually or create two scheduled backups with both drives connected. One schedule for each drive. You would essentially be creating two separate backups, not backing up to two drives simultaneously which I know of no software being able to accomplish.

#9 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

So unlike File History in Windows, Easeus would recognize both drives and work with each separately?

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

...Easeus would recognize both drives and work with each separately?

Corrrect, scheduled or on-demand, one active backup at a time,

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,563 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

I am not 100% positive but I believe it does because when creating a backup it will ask for the target drive. If each drive has a separate letter, each scheduled backup plan would use that letter. 

https://kb.easeus.com/art.php?id=10004

#12 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

Okay. Thank you everyone for the input. One last question: If I create a RAID 1 array under 1 letter, can I point to it as a backup destination in Easeus?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,563 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

Okay. Thank you everyone for the input. One last question: If I create a RAID 1 array under 1 letter, can I point to it as a backup destination in Easeus?

That I can't answer. I suggest you contact Easeus saying your interested in purchasing the program and if it can backup RAID 1. I am not sure the free or home version would do this. From doing a search Easeus says the Server Version does this.

There is a live chat available on this page.

https://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/comparison.htm

#14 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

Okay. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users