Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Remove Virus From Removable Drive?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shoulda

shoulda

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

Had to buy a new computer after virus attacked my laptop. Now using Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, firewall, etc to protect new computer. But, had tons of pic, files I needed on laptop. So, I put laptop hard drive into a removable drive so I could access those files. Ran all three programs after installing removable drive. None of the scans found anything so I assumed all ok. But today ran Symatec which gave me the following message on the screen:

Virus Status Infected
Your computer is infected with at least one known threat.
120846 files scanned, 4 file(s) infected on your disk drives.

No viruses were detected in memory.

Your computer is infected with at least one known virus or Trojan Horse.
Search for the name of the threat(s) listed below on the Symantec Security Response
site for removal information.

F:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Acr6073.TMP is infected with W32.Netsky.P@mm
F:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Acr7270.TMP is infected with W32.Netsky.P@mm
F:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Acr6212.TMP is infected with W32.Netsky.P@mm
F:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Acr5286.TMP is infected with W32.Netsky.P@mm

(when i tried to copy and paste the message this is what appeared on BC screen):

Virus Status: Infected!
Your computer is infected with at least one known threat.
Virus Status: Unknown
The Scan was unable to determine your vulnerability status.

120846 files scanned, 4 file(s) infected on your disk drives.

Your computer is free of known threats. Virus Detection does not check compressed files.

Your computer appears safe for now. For real-time protection from viruses, hackers and privacy threats, upgrade to Norton Internet Security™.

The scan was cancelled before finishing. To restart the scan, click here.

Your computer is free of known threats. Virus Detection does not check compressed files.

Your computer appears safe for now. For real-time protection from viruses, hackers and privacy threats, upgrade to Norton Internet Security™.

Search for the name of the threat(s) listed below on the Symantec Security Response site for removal information.

Warning! The scan detected a virus that is active in your computer's memory.
The scan ended to prevent further infection.

You should shut down your computer immediately and restart it with an antivirus rescue disk or similar tool.

Your computer is infected with at least one known virus or Trojan horse.

Search for the name of the threat(s) listed below on the Symantec Security Response site for removal information.

Your computer is infected with at least one known virus or Trojan horse.

Note: The scan was cancelled before finishing. There may be more infected files on this computer.

A scan has not been run. To start Virus Detection, click here.

F:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Acr6073.TMP is infected with W32.Netsky.P@mm
F:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Acr7270.TMP is infected with W32.Netsky.P@mm
F:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Acr6212.TMP is infected with W32.Netsky.P@mm
F:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Acr5286.TMP is infected with W32.Netsky.P@mm

I disconnected the drive just to be safe and ran Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, Windows security check and checked firewall on new computer. All came back clear. What should I do to remove the virus from the removable drive? Can the virus eventually migrate from one harddrive to another? Ive been using the removable for several months without incident? Ideas? Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 22 September 2006 - 10:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:45 PM

Do an online scan with the two programs listed below. If these programs find something they can't get rid of post a Hijack This log using the instructions found in this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users