Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sign in name is not mine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MoonPower

MoonPower

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

Last night or this AM something happened to my pc. When I start it, it shows someone else's name, not mine. When I go to Control Panel / User accounts it states that the account has administrator rights and is password protected. I feel like someone is messing with me here. I ran Avast and Malwarebytes and all is clear. I went into my Microsoft account and saw the wrong name there. I edited it to my name and I thought everything would be okay. Nope. I still get the wrong name on startup. I have my pc to bypass the password at startup so I can get down to my business. Aside from that everything seems okay. Does anyone know how I can change the name permanently? I get the wrong name for just about 2 seconds before it goes to my desktop. I may have to live with it this way. Thanks for your help.  

Edited by MoonPower, 06 November 2017 - 08:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens type in control, then press OK.  This will open the Control Panel.

Select System, then click/tap on Changes Settings.

utDNxsL.png

You will see a image similar to the one below.   Delete t he name found there and type in the name you want.  Click/tap Apply, then OK.

ALQdrd6.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

I am unclear here.   It appears that the OP is saying that the name that is appearing that is associated with their Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 user account on the lock/login screen is not what it once was.

Attached File  MS_Acct_Pg.jpg   58.22KB   0 downloads

This is controlled at the level of the Microsoft Account, and whatever you change your name to should show up after the computer is Restarted or shut down and powered up provided Fast Startup is not enabled.

If my reading is correct have no idea how this name would change absent someone going into the account and editing it.  I would be concerned that my account had been accessed in that case.  It is entirely possible, though, that if one made a change, even months ago, and Fast Startup is enabled and the Restart command had not been used in the interim that a change made to the Name in the Microsoft Account would not show up until an actual Restart was done.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#4 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:09 AM

dc3 and britechguy,

I really don't understand it, but my problem is fixed. I got my name back upon startup. I just changed the Full computer name to "My name's PC"  (my real name) and then I restarted my pc and my name was back. Thanks. :bounce:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,256 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

I'm glad to hear that you got this sorted out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

MoonPower,

Glad to hear that the problem has resolved.   If you are willing, would you please post a screen shot of the screen where "your name" was not appearing (and, of course, you can redact your name).

I am still completely confused as to what was under discussion here, because your login ID/username and the computer name are two entirely different, and completely disconnected things.   It would be useful to know where the problem was exhibiting itself just for the record, as it will clear away this ambiguity.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#7 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:07 PM

If I understand you I sort of wonder that too. I followed dc3's reply and followed his directions to change my computers name. I already forgot how I got there now. Sorry about that britechguy I'm not sure how to do a screen shot. I need to work on that. All I know is that after I changed my computers name I restarted my pc and it was fixed. My real name appeared at the startup welcome screen. Take care. MoonPower

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,256 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

#9 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

dc3 and britechguy. Thanks for the info dc3. I think I can do it now. Cheers. britechguy if you read this then I told you something wrong yesterday. I said I changed the computer name. That's not right. I changed the computer description. My computer name is a bunch of letters and numbers and that wasn't changed. I don't know if you feel any better about what I said or if you still have a question mark. I may know how to build pcs, but there is a lot about things I don't know. I was mixed up. Take care.

Attached Files

Edited by MoonPower, 07 November 2017 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users