Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any free antivirus recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 david889

david889

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:41 AM

Just built my first PC and i wanna know which free antivirus are the safest to download and the best to protect my PC. Windows 10 OS. I have seen some introduction from this page https://pc4u.org/best-free-antivirus-for-windows/ which ranked BitDefender as the first status while this page https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp strongly vote for this software avast,  therefore, this really confused me.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:10 AM

Hi, the best is already installed and it's free, it's called defender and it offers (especially since the v 1709 release) improved security. You would not expect anything but reviews of commercial products to produce the results you see, otherwise who would buy them, usually it's people who are caught up in the hype of the AV developer. Defender offers an integrated security system that works well with 10, we see a lot of problems (increasingly) from people who are using third party AV's. For the home user you cannot go past it.

#3 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

Bitdefender or Kaspersky,but I personally think you should purchase your AV :notme:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:15 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, Anti-Malware Test Lab, MRG-Effitas, etc...PCMag is not one of them. From what I understand, the PCMag Editors' Choice is awarded to products and services that rise above similar products in their categories as determined by their own experts. PCMag Technical Excellence Awards are voted on by the magazine's editors and analysts.

avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.

Further, avast! pushes a support package for $180 offered by a third party which prefers to take remote control of your computer in order to fix problems.

If folks are looking for a free alternative I generally recommend recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if they prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program...it also includes more detailed information about Windows Defender Anti-virus.

Keep in mind that all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Windows 8/10 Defender.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 santiano

santiano

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:21 AM

I think Free antivirus has some limitations. I suggest going for more paid antivirus. You can try the demo version as well. 

#6 arpitasingh

arpitasingh

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:38 AM

I believe Free antivirus has some limitations most of them are free only for a month. I suggest you, you should go with paid versions. It will secure your system n a better way. 

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:43 AM

An offer of free anti-virus or anti-malware software software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (Premium/Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups, nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version or purchase other products.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those annoying pop-ups and ads. In some cases you may be able to disable them through the program's settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch to another product if the pop-up and ads annoy you that much.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#8 anker_by

anker_by

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

My choose is Avast or kaspersky free version.... but you have more... but these are good..

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

I have used paid AV and AM products in the distant past and to this present day only have one:  Emsisoft AM (AV included).

The paid versions, while the databases are the same whether paid or free, offer a little more control over operations.  Presently, using Windows 7 Firewall with Windows 7 Firewall Control (which gives me a better inside "look-see") and Emsisoft AM/AV.  I do keep my Windows Defender and Window MSE respective databases current - just in case Emsisoft goes offline temporarily.  And, I can get a "2nd opinion" via MSE's on-demand scan.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#10 DallasBooks

DallasBooks

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:34 PM

I have visited your site and I really appreciate your work. I really like your compare feature.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

I have visited your site and I really appreciate your work. I really like your compare feature.

You're talking about JohnC's site?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,363 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

Given the improvements, which have been very significant, in Windows Defender over the last year, and particularly with the release of Windows 10 Version 1709, you should really not dismiss the idea of using it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

Given the improvements, which have been very significant, in Windows Defender over the last year, and particularly with the release of Windows 10 Version 1709, you should really not dismiss the idea of using it.

And we can include the Windows Firewall improvements -- absolutely +1 for BriTechGuy.  I've been using Windows Firewall (along with Windows 7 Firewall Control utility) for some time now.  If I did not already have been using Emsisoft AM/AV, I would have used both Windows Defender and MSE, well, one or the other.  For the purposes of "2nd opinion" on-demand scan, I keep both WD & MSE database, definitions, updated fairly regularly; presently, MSE scans each and every time I "ask" it to.

Edited by RolandJS, 09 November 2017 - 01:42 PM.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,363 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

Is there such a thing as MSE in the Windows 10 ecosystem?

I did not include discussion of MSE strictly because the OP noted that they were running Windows 10, and I thought after Windows 7 Windows Defender (in its current guise, not the one as an antimalware scanner that it had on Win7 and earlier) completely supplanted MSE.

When I did a Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade yesterday on a friend's computer under the Win10 Upgrade for Assistive Technology Users (she is blind and uses screen readers, so qualifies) the process explicitly said it was removing MSE and that it would be replaced by Windows Defender, which it was.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

For the benefit of all topic readers, let me provide a brief summary.

Windows 10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits. If you have Windows 10 Anniversary update, it includes Limited Periodic Scanning and allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection.

Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update, Windows Defender is called Windows Defender Antivirus...it includes always-on protection which consists of real-time protection, behavior monitoring and heuristics to identify and block malware based on known suspicious and malicious activity. Windows Defender Antivirus Creators Update is also compatible with any third-party anti-virus.

Starting with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Windows Defender Antivirus includes Exploit Guard with four components of new intrusion prevention capabilities designed to lock down a system against various attack vectors and block behaviors commonly used in malware attacks before any damage can be done. Windows Defender EG is intended to replace Microsoft’s EMET which was confusing to novice users and allowed hackers to bypass because the mitigations were not durable and often caused operating system and application stability issues as explained here.

Note: Windows Defender EG may not be compatible with all third-party anti-exploit/anti-ransomware programs.

Windows Insider MVP 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users