Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template:Need new laptop for school,work+creative endeavors(URGENT-ish)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EPerd

EPerd

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:12 PM

Laptop or Desktop?
Laptop

My budget for the new computer is:

-$500-$1000USD (Willing to go a LITTLE higher if the specs are all there, but money is relatively tight)

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

(TL;DR at the bottom of section)

-Standard college work(don't really know what that means these days, but I intend to go back to school next fall.  If it helps, I intend to dual major in creative writing and marketing or diplomacy). :)

-promotional work which usually requires multiple document downloads, video streaming/webinars, and doing powerpoint and excel work

-Photo editing and Video editing.  Nothing too heavy in these fields at the moment, but I would eventually like to make some decent content for Youtube

-Lots of writing.  I write quite a bit.

-Music creation.  I intend to purchase both FL Studio and Sibelius in the near future.  I don't intend to record anything (not ruling it out entirely), but I do want to be able to make music and store my work.

-Downloading and storing music.  Love me some music.  I amassed quite a collection and presume it will continue to grow.

-Streaming music and videos, checking email, social media, blahblahblah standard stuff.

TL;DR:  Creating music, amateur video editing, downloading and storing music, schoolwork, (live)streaming videos, and writing a lot

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Fruity Loops(FL Studio), Sibelius(music composition software), Microsoft Office or something similar, Itunes, some sort of VPN, Mozilla Firefox(unless someone would like to suggest a better browser), whatever video editing software I can find that isn't too crazy price-wise, Malware Bytes or a similarly effective security program.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

Yes, but not on my laptop.  Sorry, CMR--I'm a ps4 guy B)

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Not sure what is considered a lot, but I would say 4-8 programs visibly running simultaneously is pretty standard for me.  Also, if my browser is one of those programs(usually it is), odds are I have 5+ tabs open.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Yes. I mean, I think it is a lot.  Probably 1,500 or so photos, 50-100 videos(although they are usually short--3 to 10 minutes), and around 5,000 songs(subject to increase).

Will you be overclocking?

Not positive what that means.  If that means messing around with the hardware to make it go faster than it was built to, then absolutely not. lol.  More power to those who can do it, but I would not risk it with my limited knowledge.  If I defined that incorrectly, my apologies.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

Not positive what is being asked here, so i'll answer a few different ways...

1.I do most of my shopping on Amazon.

2.I don't care THAT much about where I get the laptop from so long as the site and vendor check out, I have a safety/money-back guarantee, and that the laptop is unused/new.

3.I live in the U.S.A.

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Do you need peripherals? OS?

Not sure what peripherals are.  I would like Windows 10 home as the OS, but Apple isn't out of the question. Linux, at the moment, is not something I want.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

Long story short, I got scammed and allowed strangers posing as Canon tech support to remotely access my computer.  I didn't give them any passwords or credit card info, I watched everything they did(at least as much as I could see on my screen), and I shut my computer down about 15 minutes into the session.  So yeah, even though I didnt see anything crazy happen, I am loath to believe damage wasnt done and/or that they didn't set up a back door of some sort for later access.  I took all the precautionary measures(changed all passwords, called my bank etcetc), but I want to feel safe again.  ALSO, I intended to get a laptop this spring or summer, and all of the POTENTIAL fixes I know of for this scamming incident are both NOT full proof, and cost $100+.  I figure it just makes more sense to just speed up the process of getting a new laptop by a couple of months.

Here are some specs I decided I would like:

-14-18 inch screen

(Ideally 15-16)

-6th, 7th, or 8th gen i7 processor

(If someone here has a strong case for an i5, I'm willing to listen :) )

-16gb or more of RAM

(or 8gb of personally upgradable ram to 16gb or higher.  I am not ecstatic about the thought of tinkering around with a laptop's insides, but I am not ENTIRELY against it if it will save me a good amount of money)

-1tb or more HDD coupled with a 256 SSD (willing to go to 128 if all other specs are met)

-USB 3.0/3.1 connectivity (at least 1 slot)

-I DO NOT need a crazy graphics card or screen resolution, and if it will decrease the price a lot--I'd prefer to definitely not have either.

ANYWAY(lol).  I was checking out a few different laptops, and these came up:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580VD/

Now, I know the site says $1,299, BUT on amazon it is $1,039

https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-i7-7700HQ-Processor-GeForce-keyboard/dp/B071ZL3996

I don't really understand why there is such a large price discrepency, but im sure I am missing something in the specs.

Same kind of issue for the Lenovo Ideapad Y700

IN CLOSING:  I'm still learning.  I am here to take your advice and opinions seriously, so please understand that I understand that my expectations or idea of what I believe I need may be way off lol.  I really appreciate those of you who took the time to read this, and will be eternally grateful for some constructive feedback.  I'm looking to Black Friday or Cyber Monday to buy, so any suggestions on WHERE or WHEN to buy would also be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and insights.

Ps. I should mention that I am partial to Asus and Lenovo over the others.  I have never owned either, but have read more good things about them than the others.  I am kind of fed up with HP(which I've had almost exclusively for close to 2 decades).  Regardless, if someone feels HP or a brand I didn't mention is the way to go--I'm all ears.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:07 AM

I should also mention that I am not opposed to getting a customized laptop from a reseller so long as they are reputable and use new parts. Though I also do not know which companies are reputable. Any advice on that would also be appreciated.
Computer Upgrade King seems pretty legit, but I'm loath to drop $850-$950 without a second opinion. 😅

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

Here's a link to what New Egg has with your specs.  There is an 8GB ASUS S15 S510UQ there.  It looks like it will cost you about $100 to add the other 8GB if you want, but I was unable to find a manual for how difficult it would be.  Normally RAM is considered to be a user replaceable part and isn't that difficult to do, however I have not worked on this specific machine.

If going to 16GB later is a possibility make sure that it is an option for the model you select.  8GB should be fine for most of your requirements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users