Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2007 New Purchase etc.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

Just wondering...as I kinda like Office 2007...if it is suggested to purchase a new Product Key or not?  I know support has ended but thought this would be much cheaper than buying the new Office, but don't know of any drawbacks.  I suppose MS will try to do something to make it not as usable, or compatible, or something to force us to buy the new version, but I would not be able to foresee as well as others here, what that reality would be.

I don't do anything special but create Word Docs, and usually just as .doc so it will be compatible and simple as possible.  Still really don't know enough about all the compatibility issues that may or may not happen.  I should really do more testing on how all the programs work together. 

Had a Poor result using Libre Office on Windows, and the .docx Compatibility.  I would like to try it again, and just use .doc, and see if the compatibility issues still exist.  It all got a little overwhelming to me so quit and installed Office 2007.

I also wonder where a good source for a legit Product Key would be? surely not from MS anymore?

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

If you have Office 2007 installed then you already have a product key, you don't need another. The native file formats for 2007 and later are .DOCX, ,XLSX and so on. they will read the earlier .DOC, .XLS etc. and can save in these formats.

I am surprised to hear you say you have compatibility problems between Libre Office and .DOCX files, the only problems I have had between Libre and MS Offices is between Powerpoint and Impress. They just don't seem to like each other.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

If you have Office 2007 installed then you already have a product key, you don't need another. 

Yes, but don't have the original purchase info as it was a long time ago.  Now every time I install it they ask how many times it has been installed.  So will they eventually not allow me to install it again, if it is over Five Installs or whatever?  Some of these installs have been on the same pc, after a Clean Install.  As I understand it, it is how many computers it is installed to...and...how many times I Install it?  To be honest, I'm still learning about all this License Key stuff, and don't do it often enough to know any better.  But would like to Milk what Installs I have left as my financial situation is not good, at the same time, have many hand-me-down computers I like to use as hobbies and for work.  I guess I just have to many computers lol.

I am surprised to hear you say you have compatibility problems between Libre Office and .DOCX files, the only problems I have had between Libre and MS Offices is between Powerpoint and Impress. They just don't seem to like each other.

I'll try to explain best I can.  I don't have this issue if Libre is used in Linux, and then opened in MS Office with .docx. 

I do however seem to have issues when using Libre on an Windows Machine, then opening in Office 2007 on another Windows Machine.  Yes it will open, and can read write etc. but it seems to change the format, then if I open in Libre after, Libre will try to change it back into the Libre "Format" (for lack of better term).  And, they seem to leave, or use these little ".lock file" every time to achieve compatibility, same way I see Office 2003 with Compatibility Pack do with .docx Docs created in Office 2007 or even newer, which also seem to make things open slower.

I wish Office was a little cheaper, until then I'll try to use up my 2007 Installs, of which I understand is three concurrent installations, and seemingly unlimited Re-installs on the same pc?

Thanks Chris! pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

As I understand it, it is how many computers it is installed to...and...how many times I Install it?

As I understand it you are only allowed to install it to 1 PC at a time, and if its OEM you can't transfer the license to another PC.

The only legal way to install it on multiple PC's is to have a volume license.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'll need to study up I guess, but still no way to keep track of it that I know of.  Just gathered some links I will review later.

I may have a "Volume License" Nick but don't know for sure.  I know I have it installed on Two computers and have re-activated it a few times for Re-Installs.

The Question still stands, where to get a new Office 2007 License and if I should go that route at all, considering all the variables.

1. Cost is the biggest factor for me!

2. How good is the New Version vs Office 2007.

I've used Office 2016 a little and maybe some of the earlier ones also, but they don't seem all that good to me, and I like the layout of Office 2007, so others feel the same?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users