Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Adobe Flash Player update popup also

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 glentall

glentall

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

I tried replying to the post at "https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/662012/fake-adobe-flash-player-update-popup/"

but, after registering a new account,  was not allowed to post a reply so I had to create this new topic (sorry).

In that post, the writer said this:

This popup tries to get me to update Adobe Flash Player. It starts with a warning page with the heading "Your Version of Flash Player May Be Outdated". Then a second popup appears with buttons to "Update" or "Save File". A screenshot should be attached. Note that the website of origin is "https:softwarecentraldownload.com".

I initially thought this was legitimate, and clicked on "Update". However, my antivirus caught it, and nothing was downloaded, as far as I know. At that point I realized the Flash Player logo was obviously fake.

Oddly, it seems I get this popup only while I'm on the www.foxnews.com website, which I look at multiple times each day. I have not seen it any other time so far.

I was going to reply with:

We have had the same issue but it has been happening when we are on drudgereport.com using Google Chrome.  Drudge required that we disable our ad blocker a while back.  I would hate to think that this popup is one of their sponsored ads.  And, since it is highly suspicious, we have just closed the tab when we get the popup.  We would like to know what it is so we can stop getting it!  I have been doing a number of Google searches and have not found very much on this yet. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Platypus, 05 November 2017 - 07:22 PM.
Moved from Logs topic, no logs posted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DucatiMustangMan

DucatiMustangMan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

Hi. I just came here via this search. I have the same issue. Also with Foxnews. It's hard to believe we're the only ones on the whole internet. But this was the only site that came up with this issue. :o/

Antivirus can't get rid of the pop up. Not sure how to handle it other than shutting down the browser or tab when it rears its ugly head. 

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 70,512 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

Hello try this first

Remove the Fake Flash Player Update PopUp
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 DucatiMustangMan

DucatiMustangMan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:44 PM

Ok. So I need to get:

1. RKill

2. Malwarebytes

3. Zemana

4. ADWCleaner

5. Hitman Pro

6. Secunia PSI

:bananas:

I'm very surprised someone hasn't developed a software that can do all of this.  :idea:

Edited by DucatiMustangMan, 07 November 2017 - 09:46 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 70,512 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

When you are in the Self Help Guide..
Clicking on the statements like
Use Rkill to terminate suspicious programs.
will take you to the tool's download link.

Yes different tools do have different jobs.

Edited by boopme, 08 November 2017 - 11:00 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users