Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No keyboard during Win 7 installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

Kia ora everyone,

I do some work in our local community in NZ trying to get laptops up and running again and now and then I have a problem I cannot resolve even after researching it on the internet.

This time I had a Toshiba Satellite Pro L500 that wouldn't boot from the hard drive. I took the hard drive out and using the USB attachment recommended on this site was able to run a chkdsk and copy it to another hard drive. I then reinstalled it and tried to install Win 7 from the Windows Iso Download tool previously recommended here.

All good until the set up windows screen where you enter user name and computer name, and I find the keyboard does not work and no way to get past this that I know of. I tried with 64 bit and 32 bit, to no avail.

Once (after many attempts) I managed to open the on screen keyboard using the ease of use icon, but I couldn't get anything into the windows screen from there even though it seemed to work fine.

Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks to all those who have been invaluable in the past as well.

Kia ora rawa atu!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Just to confirm, you copied your data to another drive and now want to do a clean install using the Windows 7 install media. Have you tried a USB external keyboard? 

You can do a clean install by doing the following.

After booting your Windows install media, at the screen where it asks for language, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart

list disk

select disk X      Where X is the number associated with the disk you will be installing Windows to. It will be 0 on a computer with one disk

clean                  Will delete all partitions and delete all data on the drive

exit

exit

continue with the install. 

#3 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

Hi JohnC,

Yes I am wanting to do a clean install. I would try a USB keyboard but I don't have one and don't particularly want to buy one just for the one occasion.

All of those commands you list are done during the install anyway I would have thought. Getting past that stage is fine, it is setting the laptop up with a user and PC name that is the issue and anything that requires a keyboard after that.

The mouse does work fine, but my thoughts were maybe a driver needed to be loaded with the windows iso file.

Cheers

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:14 PM

I don't know of any keyboard drivers available before install. The generic Windows 7 driver for trackpads should have worked. The ability to load drivers during the install is for the hard drive controller.

I suggested the commands to remove any current partitions on the hard drive in case there was a conflict with the new install. When you did the install did you delete all current partitions on the drive if any? Note: In my above commands if you substitute clean all for clean it will zero wipe the drive for an install on a clean disk. Note the load driver link in the below image. This is for the drive controller in order to detect a drive should Windows 7 not have the appropriate drivers. I have never come across the problem where keyboard drivers are needed during an install of Windows 7.

windows-7-clean-install-A-58070cbf3df78c

windows-7-clean-install-B-58070cbc5f9b58

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 November 2017 - 09:25 PM.

#5 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:12 PM

Hi John,

Yes I deleted all partitions, and that is why I assumed your commands were not necessary, but I am going to go ahead and try it anyway. Maybe cleaning the disk will make a difference as you suggest.

Cheers

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

Do the clean all command. This will take awhile to zero the drive. When the diskpart command prompt returns is when you know the wipe is finished. My head is in the wrong place today. I was thinking trackpad instead of keyboard. Sorry. This makes is more strange as Windows 7 has all keyboard drivers and the keyboard functions during the install. 

Have you tried doing a BIOS reset to default? 

#7 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

I will take the hard drive out tonight and do a clean all on it, I cannot do shift F10 with the keyboard.

And yes, I have reset the BIOS to default.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

If you use the USB adapter you can use Partition Wizard to wipe the drive with zero fill quick. This is safer than diskpart as you will not be selecting disk 0 if you have two disks, one being the one attached with the USB adapter. All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and do not complete until Apply is clicked.

#9 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

Firstly, thanks for your help John. And thanks for the partition wizard, that will be a big help in the future I am sure.

I redid the clean install after the disk was cleaned and the same result. I was thinking about the USB keyboard option but decided to try pressing all the keys on the keyboard at the same time, and miraculously hit escape (possibly with the shift key) and the keyboard worked. Strange as I have pushed every single key more than once before just to test.

I am wondering if the keyboard was just sleeping, and the escape key woke it. I did change the BIOS setting to enable keyboard to wake so maybe that was the problem.

In any case, I now have Windows 7 freshly installed and the drivers even all appear to be there, but no WIfi and Windows updates aren't working so that is my job for today.

Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

Your Welcome,

Nice troubleshooting and thanks for taking the time to post an update with the solution. I will need to remember it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users