Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer unable to shutdown.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:23 AM

Dear Sir,

I was following steps written by you.

I replaced cmos battary with the new one. And tried your steps. but problem not solved but when i start only light plugg butten only pc gets start automatically. I didnt press any power button of cpu But pc gets start automatically. So i switched off pc power button and disconnected +- led which we use to connect to cpu cabinate to the mother board and after disconnecting the cables i switched on the plugged power button (not cpu power ) and my pc starts automatically.

So again i replaced my newly installed cmos battary with the dead one. And repeated the above step to check ny pc starts without switching on of cpu button or not.

My pc didnt auto start. It started after pressing cpu power button.

So it means if i place dead cmos battary in motherboard my pc will not start automatically. But i am unable to shut down in boath scenariaos.

request you to help me.. ... and sorry for long post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

Did you build this computer yourself, or did you purchase from a store?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#18 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:46 AM

yes i build the system and i used around 4 to 5 years. It was running nicely.

#19 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Post #1:

Checked the power suplly With multimeter.
Power supplu unit is ok.
But 3.3v shows red. I dont know why.
Under monitor hardware, 3.3 v shows in red 2.8 othervice all settings are good.

No, your power supply is not ok. If your BIOS readout is in red and showing 2.8v for a 3.3v lead, how can you say the power supply is good??

Post #2:

After disabling fast startup open a command prompt and type

shutdown /s /f /t 0

I am not clear on what happened; exactly what did the computer do?

Post #9:

Problem- pc is not getting fully shut down only monitors light is getting off. Dwd writer is working and cpu power light also glowing...

Please answer the following questions with YES or NO. Nothing else. Please number each answer so I know what answer is for what question.

1... Can the computer be shut down using the normal Start button in Windows Desktop?

2... When the computer is off, and power-on button is pressed, will it boot into Windows perfectly?

3... When it is booted, can you use it normally with no problems? Do all your programs run, your mouse and keyboard are good and you can surf the internet normally?

3... Are the only problems: the motherboard power lamp is glowing, and the DVD will open and close if you press the DVD button, and the battery drains quickly? Is that everything?

4... When powered down, are the case cooling fans,and the CPU heatsink fan still spinning after shutdown?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#20 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the reply sir..

"No, your power supply is not ok. If your BIOS readout is in red and showing 2.8v for a 3.3v lead, how can you say the power supply is good??"

You are absolutly right sir, But basically in power supply unit some wires provide 5v some provide 12v and some provides 3.3v to the entire motherbord as per requirement. So i checked every wires of power suppy using multimeter its giving accurate readings. So i am damn sure that my power supply is in ok condition.

But if it is not supplying power to motherboard properly then may be their is fault in motherboard hardware components like capacitors or rezister or whatever. so i am trying to figureout the exact issue.

Below is the answers of your question

1) No- after pressing shut down, only monitors light getting off (shows no sigle on monitor screen) like normal shut down. But motherboard lights glow. Cpu dwd writer is on. And cpu fan also spins after shut down.

2)Yes

3)after booting, my all softwares works like charm but the main problem is lot of times my all usb unable to detect to pc. Like my wireless mouse & pen drives stopped working. And also i have obseved that all usbs stopped working. when this happens i check bios,and in bios under usb controller option it shows usb detected "None" so i change the clrtc jumper and start boot again the pc. then usb starts detecting. But after some hours usb again start stop working so to work that again i need to again change the clrtc jumper from its previous position to next position.

4)yes is that everything.

5)Yes heat sink fan & cpu case fans still spinning. and if i unplugged the power chord directlty from the main supply to shut down the entire pc. then in next start up, pc gives error like load startup repair or run windows normally.

Sorry for long post. I hope you understood the entire problem. Please let me know if you have any query.

I am waiting for your answer.

Edited by Badshah2017, 06 November 2017 - 09:34 PM.

#21 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

3)that again i need to again change the clrtc jumper from its previous position to next position.

I know you do this due to USB issues. However I believe it's best to determine the correct setting that the computer is supposed to run on & leave it there. Leave the USB's out of the equation for now. The issue is the 3.3v feed is reading 2.8v which is far out of the 5% tolerance. The BIOS reports that in Red.

--- The multi-meter provides accurate readings. That's a conflict but I would trust the BIOS first.

Maybe flashing or updating the BIOS would help but hopefully someone with more expertise than me can address that. 

HP CPQ 6000 Pro Win10 Pro 32-bit OS desktop 2.80 GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E-6300 (x64-based processor) 250GB SSD 4/16GB RAM Intel® Q45/Q43 Express Chipset Microsoft Driver version: 8.15.10.2702 / Realtek High Definition Audio. BIOS System information: Legacy Hewlett Packard 786G2 v01.09, 8/25/2009. Dual boot with Linux Mint MATE 64-bt.

#22 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

yeah you are right. I can ignore the usb issue. The first priority is the bios voltage. That is showing red. 3 to 4 months back my motherboard bios is already updated by another engineer.

But sp you think updating bios will solve the pc shut down issue ?

in this forum will i get the guidance from the tech pros. ?

I am really in need of help. I wants to figerout the actual cuase behind it.

Thanks for your support sir.

#23 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

Maybe flashing or updating the BIOS would help

I doubt it. Many people think that flashing the BIOS will "somehow" solve their problems, but in reality it usually does not. In addition, if you are having electrical problems and you attempt to flash the BIOS, something may interfere with the flash and you end up with a bricked box.  Your problem is not software, it is hardware, and at this point everything is pointing to your power supply, but you do not want to accept that fact. Ok, so be it.

I have only one last suggestion, if you want to do it.

Pull all the components out of your computer and do a bench build. Seeing that you built the unit yourself, that should not be difficult for you. The bench build will definitely find your problem. Here is a technique that I have used for years when I build a new computer and it has not failed me yet, and I also use this when I have a really difficult problem with a computer I am repairing. Follow all the steps with all the equipment specified.

At this point, this is all I can do. I wish you well!

#24 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

Hi,

I will follow the steps as you mention. Thanks for the support.

#25 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:53 PM

Maybe flashing or updating the BIOS would help

I doubt it. Many people think that flashing the BIOS will "somehow" solve their problems, but in reality it usually does not. In addition, if you are having electrical problems and you attempt to flash the BIOS, something may interfere with the flash and you end up with a bricked box.  Your problem is not software, it is hardware, and at this point everything is pointing to your power supply

I agree. Having read some such recommendations while googling the issue at hand that is why I brought it up but I'm glad someone with more expertise than me chimed in on it: thanks ranchhand_. In post #6, I mentioned “Even though it’s only one failed reading, it wouldn’t surprise me if a new PSU is warranted.” & I still suspect that is the case.

HP CPQ 6000 Pro Win10 Pro 32-bit OS desktop 2.80 GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E-6300 (x64-based processor) 250GB SSD 4/16GB RAM Intel® Q45/Q43 Express Chipset Microsoft Driver version: 8.15.10.2702 / Realtek High Definition Audio. BIOS System information: Legacy Hewlett Packard 786G2 v01.09, 8/25/2009. Dual boot with Linux Mint MATE 64-bt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users