Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer unable to shutdown.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Badshah2017

Badshah2017

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

Hi from some days i am going through worst situation. my pc is not getting shut down after clicking on shut down pc dvd wrighters running also cpu lights are on only monitors lights getting off. And date and time resets everytime.

I have checked bios settings.
Under monitor hardware, 3.3 v shows in red 2.8 othervice all settings are good.

Action taken to solve this issue until now as given below,
Reset the bios,Reset time,
replaced cmos battary with the new one.
Installed windows 7 / 10.

Checked the power suplly With multimeter.
Power supplu unit is ok.
But 3.3v shows red. I dont know why.

Please help me guys.. i am waiting for your answers

Edited by Al1000, 05 November 2017 - 11:56 AM.
moved from General Chat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

Pls help me guys. My pc is not getting shut down only monitors light is getting off after clicking shut down But dvd ia working and cpu light is glowing.

In bios under monitor 3.3 v showing in red 2.8 what does it mean ?

please let me know what to do ?

Edited by Al1000, 05 November 2017 - 11:56 AM.
topics merged.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

Are you saying to dual boot with Windows 7 and 10 or that you upgraded to Windows 10 from 7?

Firstly, I would disable Window's 10 fast startup.

After disabling fast startup open a command prompt and type

shutdown /s /f /t 0

The above does a immediate full shutdown. It will also force close any open applications. 

Edit: If dual boot do this in Windows 10

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 November 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

:oopsign: My Mistake.

Edited by The-Toolman, 06 November 2017 - 01:25 PM.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

Date/time situations...are usually indicative of CMOS/RTC battery issues, IMO.

Louis

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

“Under monitor hardware, 3.3 v shows in red 2.8 othervice all settings are good.

But 3.3v shows red. I dont know why.”

That’s because the 2.8 volts is outside of a +/- range of 5% that power supplys are designed to run by on the 3.3v circuit.

I do not know if the “dvd wrighters running also cpu lights are on” are part of the circuitry.

Even though it’s only one failed reading, it wouldn’t surprise me if a new PSU is warranted.

However if you can get the computer to shut down, blow out any dust in the power supply.

Since you replaced the CMOS battery, is there still a date/time problem?

--- If so how much of a change is there?

--- Is the time zone ok?

HP CPQ 6000 Pro Win10 Pro 32-bit OS desktop 2.80 GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E-6300 (x64-based processor) 250GB SSD 4/16GB RAM Intel® Q45/Q43 Express Chipset Microsoft Driver version: 8.15.10.2702 / Realtek High Definition Audio. BIOS System information: Legacy Hewlett Packard 786G2 v01.09, 8/25/2009. Dual boot with Linux Mint MATE 64-bt.

#7 anker_by

anker_by

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

Check the panel, CMOS you don't need is for Date/Time and BIOS/UEFI Information, try to check the panel cables.....

#8 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

Are you saying to dual boot with Windows 7 and 10 or that you upgraded to Windows 10 from 7?

Firstly, I would disable Window's 10 fast startup.

After disabling fast startup open a command prompt and type

shutdown /s /f /t 0
The above does a immediate full shutdown. It will also force close any open applications. 

Edit: If dual boot do this in Windows 10

#9 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

Dear John,

I have not installed duel boot. I have cleanly formated system drive then i installed windows 10 and check the problem is solved or not. But problem was still their so i again formatted the system drive and installed windows 7 32 professional. But problem is not solved. I thought its software issue. But i think its i big hardware issue. Please let me know your opinion.

Problem- pc is not getting fully shut down only monitors light is getting off. Dwd writer is working and cpu power light also glowing...

Date/time situations...are usually indicative of CMOS/RTC battery issues, IMO.

Louis

Edited by Badshah2017, 05 November 2017 - 10:37 PM.

#10 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:34 PM

So in this case, what steps do i have to take.

Because i have already replaced cmos battary..

And let me tell you one thing.

After installing cmos battary, i have observed my cmos battary is draining very fast.

Do you know why this happends ?

Edited by Badshah2017, 05 November 2017 - 10:34 PM.

#11 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

Thats because the 2.8 volts is outside of a +/- range of 5% that power supplys are designed to run by on the 3.3v circuit.
I do not know if the dvd wrighters running also cpu lights are on are part of the circuitry.
Even though its only one failed reading, it wouldnt surprise me if a new PSU is warranted.
However if you can get the computer to shut down, blow out any dust in the power supply.

--- Is the time zone ok?

#12 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:38 PM

Thats because the 2.8 volts is outside of a +/- range of 5% that power supplys are designed to run by on the 3.3v circuit.
I do not know if the dvd wrighters running also cpu lights are on are part of the circuitry.
Even though its only one failed reading, it wouldnt surprise me if a new PSU is warranted.

--- Is the time zone ok?

#13 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:42 PM

Dear sir,

I have checked my power supply unit with digital multimeter its supplying accurate power to the cpu.

but i dont know why reading shows in red in bios. And sir, i have replaced cmos battary 2 times but my cmos battary powers is draining very fast. And date and time issue is still thier..also i am unabale to fully shut down my pc.

Require help of genious pepole here... 😊😊

i am waiting for your valuable answer.

Edited by Badshah2017, 05 November 2017 - 10:44 PM.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:22 AM

You do have accurate power to the CPU but not the 3.3v feed and I suspect the 3v CMOS battery is included in that part of the circuitry but the 2.8v reading is  lower than the 5% tolerance at only 2.8v (actually it's in the 15% area). The reading in the BIOS is in Red because it knows there is a problem but probably does show the reading or does it? The hardware monitor does show the reading and that indicates to me that that's why it needs to be determined what is draining the system.

It sounds like it might not be possible to save your data but if you can, do so immediately.

If you can, shut the computer down. I don't like to do this but pull the plug if you have to what else can you do in this situation to get this to shut down?

Hold the On/Off button in for about 10 seconds to discharge any static charges in the system.

Install another new CMOS battery while grounding yourself to the frame: if you have a grounding clip, use it. It might sound like overkill but this is the time to help eliminate a grounding problem possibility.

Reconnect the power cord but don't start the computer instantly, wait a couple of minutes. During that time, if there is a power LED on the back of the computer, note its color: I suspect it should be green. My Dell desktop power LED is green even without the computer turned on yet. I believe my HP does the same but I don't want to shut it down to find out because this is the computer I'm using right now.

If it's green wait a while though before starting the computer, I suppose 5 minutes should be long enough but if you wait longer it might be a good idea, to see if it changes color.

If it changes color, leave it off and post back from another computer.

However if there isn't a power LED on the back of the computer, remove the side panel so you can see the motherboard LED before starting the above and follow the same concept of the ideas above.

EDIT: Do this part anyway at the start. I do not recall if the power LED on the back of the computer is equivalent to the motherboard LED. So watch both of those LED's if both of them are there. 

Either way, I want to think optimistically and that the power LED will stay green.

--- BTW, how old is the computer?

Edited by cmptrgy, 06 November 2017 - 06:34 AM.

HP CPQ 6000 Pro Win10 Pro 32-bit OS desktop 2.80 GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E-6300 (x64-based processor) 250GB SSD 4/16GB RAM Intel® Q45/Q43 Express Chipset Microsoft Driver version: 8.15.10.2702 / Realtek High Definition Audio. BIOS System information: Legacy Hewlett Packard 786G2 v01.09, 8/25/2009. Dual boot with Linux Mint MATE 64-bt.

#15 Badshah2017

Badshah2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I am using AMD DDR 3 motherboard,
Ram 4 GB, HDD 1TB
No graphic card installed in it.

I will follow steps that you written. And let you know about the problem..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users