Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc won't turn on easily after i leave it unplugged for 8 hours

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whiteknights

whiteknights

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

every time i turn off my pc and leave it unplugged for a night long, when i wake up and turn it on i get no post & no beep.
i have to tap on the back of my case a little with my hand and give it a little shake so the pc can turn on normally.

this happens whether my GPU is installed or not, and i think it only happens if i leave the pc unplugged for more than 8 hours.
i tried unplugging it for 6 hours and less, pc turned on normally. but if i leave it unplugged more than that it won't, unless i shake the case.

this is also was happening with my old thermaltake 450w PSU and with my new FSP HEXA+ 500w PSU.
any explanation for why that happening?

my specs:
mobo: Gigabyte H61M-S2p
cpu: i5-3470
Ram: 4GB kingston ValueRam + 4GB G.Skill = 8GB.. ram works in dual channel.
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
GPU: Sapphire HD 7870XT 2GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

My immediate reaction when I saw your remark about "tapping the back of the case" was a bad connection in the PSU but I then saw you had changed the PSU and was still getting the same problem. That makes it unlikely that it is down to the PSU. Not impossible, but very unlikely.

I still think it is a bad connection somewhere so I suggest you undo all the connections to the mobo and re-connect them and do the same with the hard drive leads, and unmount your GPU and check its connections. While you have the leads unplugged have a look at the mobo sockets where they connect and give them a light shake or push and pull to see if any of the sockets are loose. Once you are happy that all the connections are OK then re-connect everything and see if there is any improvement.

If it is still giving problems after all this then the next most likely suspect is a bad solder joint on the mobo. this would probably need you dismounting the mobo to have a look at the back of it. I wouldn't worry about the surface mount connections. the joints to look at are those for discrete components such as capacitors and connectors. This image will show you bad solder joints and one good one in comparison. These can easily be fixed with a small tipped soldering iron, some solder and some means of de-soldering a joint, either a de-soldering pump or desoldering braid.

https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/assets/000/001/978/medium800/tools_Header_Joints.jpg?1396777967

Chris Cosgrove

#3 whiteknights

whiteknights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:42 PM

thank you i will try to do all your suggestions and see what happens.. i would like to mention that i don't tap on the back of the case where the PSU is located, i tap on the side panel (the back of the mobo).

also after i changed my PSU i didn't installed all the components.. i installed just 1 stick of Ram(G.Skill).. and there was no problem for 3 days, but after i installed back the other stick of Ram (kingston ValueRam) i think thats where the problem started to happen again, i don't know if its a coincidence or not.

i still don't understand why 8 hours? if it was a bad connection somewhere why it only happen after more than 8 hours unplugged.

this problem was happening with my old PSU but in a different way, with my old PSU i get a beep and windows start normally but with no post. while with my new PSU i get no beep and no post.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

sometimes just pulling the CPU and re-seating it in the socket and replace the thermal paste if the CPU chip detaches from the heat sink.  most of the time you can't lift the release lever cause the heat sink is in the way.

then do the same with all cards and ram, pull them and re-seat them also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users