Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fn + F8 Keys Do Not Toggle Touchpad (Rii Mini Keyboard)?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Hi,

I have a Rii mini keyboard/touchpad on a Windows 7 PC, as below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-Wireless-Black-UK-Raspberry/dp/B016A6NSL0/

It should be possible to press Fn + F8 to enable/disable the touchpad.  However, when I press this key combination the touchpad always stays enabled regardless.  Can anyone shed any light on why this doesn't work?  The Fn and F8 keys physically work okay and the device works well otherwise.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,597 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

It probably only works if you have a mouse connected.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:38 AM

It probably only works if you have a mouse connected.

Chris Cosgrove

I also have a wired USB mouse connected to my Windows 7 PC at all times.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

The other possibility is that software is required to be installed for them to function properly.  I use Logitech G510 keyboards and the G-keys won't work if the software isn't installed.

#5 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

The other possibility is that software is required to be installed for them to function properly.  I use Logitech G510 keyboards and the G-keys won't work if the software isn't installed.

As far as I am aware there are no special drivers for the device, other than the ones Windows 7 installed on its own when the device's dongle was first inserted.

#6 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

I've done some more testing and I found that Fn + F8 toggles whether the touchpad can be used for mouse clicks or not.  The touchpad will always respond to movement regardless.  So the Fn + F8 combination works - although not in the way I originally thought.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

That is a little odd. I have never used a keyboard of the type you have but I have used plenty of laptops with trackpads and there is almost always a key combination to disable the trackpad completely when a mouse is present. This is something I always do if I have to do any serious work on a laptop - plug in a mouse and turn the trackpad off.

I have never come across a combination that merely disables mouse clicks or pad clicks. Is there another combination to turn the trackpad off completely ?

Chris Cosgrove

#8 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

That is a little odd. I have never used a keyboard of the type you have but I have used plenty of laptops with trackpads and there is almost always a key combination to disable the trackpad completely when a mouse is present. This is something I always do if I have to do any serious work on a laptop - plug in a mouse and turn the trackpad off.

I have never come across a combination that merely disables mouse clicks or pad clicks. Is there another combination to turn the trackpad off completely ?

Chris Cosgrove

Fn + F8 is the only applicable combination I am aware of.  The third screenshot on the Amazon link I posted says that Fn + F8 if to "Turn off / on touchpad".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users