Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 factory reset black screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pentax

Pentax

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:21 AM

So i did the first option on win8 factory reset. It then said restarting.. and the screen turned off while the pc was on. The noises on the pc were normal but the screen wasnt supposed to go black. I left it for 12 hours and it was doing the same thing, which isnt normal for a simple format. I turned off the pc, unplugged waited for a bit and turned on and same thing, which probably was a big mistake. The same has been happening. I really dont want to end up on my countries services, if theres something i can do please reply. Thanks alot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

When you first boot up do you see the spinning circle or is the screen black? 

Do you see the OEM logo like HP or Dell at boot?  What is the make and model of the computer? 

Do you have access to another computer to download software?

Do you need personal data off the computer.

#3 Pentax

Pentax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:19 AM

the screen is black the whole time at startup. basically the pc turns on the fan start working and thats it. i opened the case to check the insides and things seemed normal, battery was fine luckily. the model is HP. my bet is that theres no OS anymore. i do have another laptop where i could probably download, but yeah its like 6 years old and slow.

#4 Pentax

Pentax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:20 AM

i have everything important backup'd so i dont need personal data

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:07 AM

If you do not see a HP OEM logo then I believe you are dealing with a hardware issue. 

I would first try a powercycle. Remove the power adapter and also the battery if it is easily accessible. Press the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the power adapter and battery if removed. If you still get a black screen at boot do you have a bootable DVD or USB flash drive you can attempt to boot from? If the DVD or USB does not boot then creating install media will not help. If you can get your DVD or USB to boot or you do not have bootable media then create Windows 8 install media.

On the other computer,if it has Windows 7 or later, download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 8. It will allow you to burn a DVD or create a USB flash drive. Another option is to download the iso file. With the iso file you can use Rufus. This is the better option if you intend to use a USB flash drive as the USB created by the MCT sometimes has problems booting.

When using Rufus make sure your Flash drive is listed in the dropdown box. Select GPT partition scheme and leave all boxes as checked. Select iso image in the dropdown box, click the icon, and browse to the iso file of Windows 8.1.

Because your HP came pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is in firmware. When asked for a key press next without inputting a key.

#6 Pentax

Pentax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

Hello, appearantly it had not been detecting the monitor, hence it saying no signal. I unplugged the cord, held the power button for a minute, plugged it back in and turned it on. That pretty much fixed it, phew. Thank you for the reply! good day :)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Your Welcome, and thanks for posting the solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users