Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

random reboot with no error message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ziggypiggy

Ziggypiggy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

As title says my pc will reboot randomly whether I am playing a game, browsing the Internet or just idling after startup. No apparent issue with software as I did a clean reinstall and it still happened so thinking its hardware related but struggling to figure out how to track down the culprit.
Its a new pc build and I am now a bit out of my depth in troubleshooting.
I ran memtest which it passed but did however restart a few times during the test (not sure if thats normal) and the event viewer just shows the unscheduled shutdown as a critical error

Any help would be much appreciated as I am worried the constant improper restarts will do some lasting damage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

If it restarts in MemTest, then it's likely a hardware problem (as MemTest runs a different OS from Windows).

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Also, monitor your system's temperatures with this free tool: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.
NOTE:  I've had problems with the logging working - so don't be surprised if it's not working for you.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ziggypiggy

Ziggypiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

Thanks, I.ll start working my way through that this week.  
It seems the PC has been stable for 6 hours whilst being booted in safe mode with networking, pointing more to the graphics card?  will see what the tests show.  

#4 Ziggypiggy

Ziggypiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

PC died this morning whilst running 4th go at memtest.  This time no restart, a straight power off, and it wouldnt switch back on straight away.  Power supply?  Its still under warranty so i can get it changed but anyway to be sure it is faulty?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:58 AM

It's hard to say exactly what it is without a full set of diagnostic tests.

If it powers off and won't turn back on right away - the first thing I suspect is heat.

Either overheating, or normal heat on broken components.

The fact that it doesn't crash in Safe Mode makes me wonder though - as that symptom is most often seen with software problems.

Is the system under warranty, or is it a build where the components are under warranty.

If it's the full system, I'd suggest contacting the reseller/manufacturer to see how they want to handle it.
If it's by component - then finish up the hardware diagnostics.  If they don't reveal anything, then I'll ask you to start with the hardware stripdown process detailed here:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Ziggypiggy

Ziggypiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

I guess I was just lucky before as it crashes in safe mode too now.  , ill continue with the tests. 
Nothing appears to be overheating, not that i can follow with the diagnostic tools anyway

CPU and GPU seem fine,  only temp which looks odd is under TMPIN5, its at 50oC.  Also showing as high in speedfan as Auxtin1 again @ 50oC

This pc is a new build for me and its first time ive built one from scratch so a lot of learning to be done

Edited by Ziggypiggy, 07 November 2017 - 09:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users