Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitlocker on boot VS Password managers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:25 AM

Considering, AFAIK, Bitlocker hasn't been broken, would a full drive encryption with password on boot be just as good, or better, than using a password manager for websites? (passwords saved to browser)

I know my Bitlocker password, the recovery key is printed and stored off-site, I don't save things I'm working on to the system drive and in the event of requiring a new installation of windows with all my apps/drivers I can have it done in about 90 minutes (so the risk of Bitlocker giving me trouble doesn't bother me at all).

What do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question.

So you already use BitLocker for your system drive. And from your question, I assume you don't use a password manager for your site credentials.

Then what do you do to remember your passwords? Or do you always use the same password?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

What i'm saying is, instead of using a 'secure' password manager to handle websites, wouldn't it be much better encrypt the system drive and have Bitlocker prompt me for a password at bootup?

Looks to me like I would have a much more secure system and not require a password manager at all.

As for my own password handling methods, I'm sure your question is innocent enough but I'm not posting any clues to the location of the honey pot LOL

I'm not sure I understand your question.

So you already use BitLocker for your system drive. And from your question, I assume you don't use a password manager for your site credentials.

Then what do you do to remember your passwords? Or do you always use the same password?

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

This will not protect your passwords when your computer is turned on and the BitLocker PIN has been entered.

For example, if you have malware like a password stealer on your machine, it will steal your passwords.

BitLocker protects the content of drives at rest. Not when the OS is booted.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 07 November 2017 - 03:38 PM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users