Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Farbar Recovery Scan Tool": Copyright Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hapaxoromenon

hapaxoromenon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

Hello,

I am writing in regards to the "Farbar Recovery Scan Tool", which seems to be distributed primarily through your website, as I cannot seem to find direct contact details for the program's author. Your program appears to contains code from the AutoIt-WinHTTP library at https://github.com/dragana-r/autoit-winhttp and you have not complied with the terms of the library's Apache Licence which requires that

"4. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You meet the following conditions:

1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy of this License; and
  2. You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating that You changed the files; and
  3. You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works."

In your case, I do not see anywhere where you provide a copy of the Apache Licence on the download page for the "Farbar Recovery Scan Tool", so you are breaching condition 4(a). Therefore please could you take steps to remedy the matter as soon as possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:39 AM

Hello hapaxoromenon,

Thank you for bringing this into my attention. I have sent you a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users