Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grey task bar. Unresponsive computer.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 claryfray

claryfray

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:17 PM

Hello. I've been experiencing Windows Recovery Error and after multiple reboots, I finally got to this
Attached File  IMG_9494.JPG   78.9KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9511.JPG   171.37KB   0 downloads

I left it to run because it took hours and hours. Anyway, when it's finally done, I am at my desktop with a grey task bar. I tried clicking on ANYTHING and the result was this
Attached File  IMG_9512.JPG   581.78KB   0 downloads

It's been 30 minutes and I'm still stuck.

I'm unable to restart my computer unless I do a hard reboot. But I would always end up getting Windows Error Recovery. Clicking both Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally brings me to a black screen.

I've tried starting in Safe Mode but I would end up stuck with this screen
Attached File  IMG_9449.JPG   185.48KB   0 downloads

What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

Attached File  IMG_9514.JPG   242.68KB   0 downloads

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

From the command prompt...please run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition.  After it completes and the system reboots...run the command again.

Chkdsk Command, Windows 7, Aura - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582646/cyclic-redundancy-error/?p=3759189

Then...try the following.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#4 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hey. I wish I could do any of the above tasks, but I can't. It was only after multiple hard reboots and a lot of waiting before I got to the grey task bar stage. Even then I was unable to do anything. Programs wouldn't load. Nothing loads. Attempting to bring up the Window Task Manager would cause my screen to black out. Even dragging the cursor around took a while as it would always be loading. I tried doing a System Restore, but my computer was moving too slowly to even respond.

After many hours, I shut it down. I'm back to square one.

Each time I power up the computer, Windows Error Recovery would appear. Attempting repairs and Starting Windows normally would get me nowhere. I've tried entering safe mode with and without networking, but I would end up stuck as well. See the last picture of post #1.

Currently, I'm staring at this
Attached File  IMG_9544.JPG   48.42KB   0 downloads

Edited by claryfray, 06 November 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

Well...without valuable information about the system in question...I don't have any suggestions that would be prudent or pertinent.  Unresponsive systems can occur for a multitude of reasons, ranging from hardware to malware to O/S problems.

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

Please post the make and model of this computer.  If this computer is a custom build please post the make and model of the motherboard.

Can you boot into the BIOS?

What I'm going to suggest will require changing the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and you hdd/ssd is the second device in the boot order.  You will need to do this so that the computer will boot from the installation media.

If this is a custom build you should have the Windows 7 installation disc.  If this is a OEM machine you probably don't have the installation disc.  But you can download a ISO file which can be used to create the installation disc.

I will wait for your response and then provide the proper instructions for this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

check you c: drive and see if you have a bunch of similarly named folders in the Root directory, you probably do.

what happened is when chkdsk ran it probably found a corrupt directory structure and tried to fix them. when it does that it creates a bunch of temp folders and moves files into these folders cause it doesn't know where the files go and causes issues with programs because now your files are misplaced.

if this is what has happened then you may have a HDD going bad and that's why chkdsk ran in the first place.

you need to run some diagnostics on your HDD to make sure it is not failing.  short & long test specifically.   If the drive fails then I wouldn't spend anymore time on the problem unless you want to search those temp folders for files you can recover and save to another medium.

#8 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

Some basic info:
3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2400
AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
8192MB RAM

Here's where I'm at now. It's been hours. Should I start over?
Attached File  IMG_9546.JPG   108.19KB   0 downloads

#9 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:21 PM

no let it finish...

#10 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

Attached File  IMG_9554.JPG   138.81KB   0 downloads

What should I do now?

#11 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:56 PM

I really think you have a HDD failing.   if you have another pc then you could connect it to that and run some tests on the drive itself.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,253 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

Please reply to my post.  The information which has been supplied is insufficient, you need to answer my questions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:21 AM

Please reply to my post.  The information which has been supplied is insufficient, you need to answer my questions.

Custom build.

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. | | P8H67-M LE

I've booted up from the OEM disk, but I got this instead

Attached Files

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,253 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

I'm guessing that the disk you used wasn't the same version that you have installed?

What happened to the installation media that you used to install Windows 10?

#15 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

That IS the disk I used to install Windows 7. I never did make the switch to Windows 10. Been using Windows 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users