Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fall Creator's Update - No Cortana Setting in Windows Setting

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sjf99

sjf99

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

I updated my Windows 10 to the Fall Creators Update today.  So I am on the following:

Edition:     Window 10 Pro
Version:    1709
OS Build: 16299.19

And according to the notes I should see a "Cortana Icon Setting" in my Windows Setting Menu.  As you can see in the enclosed shot it is not there (enclosed photo).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Attached File  post-922005-0-81576400-1509837142.jpg   148.98KB   1 downloads

mod edit ~Al1000: rotated image 90 degrees clockwise.

Edited by Al1000, 05 November 2017 - 12:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

ANSWERED:  I found it myself it wasn't configured in group policy editor so I enabled and now working fine and visible in settings.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

Congratulations.

Please take pity on those who read topics and help out here, don't post images sideways. :wink:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hi dc3,

Well, the picture I took was "straight on" and not sideways, I checked and did it twice because for some reason when I uploaded it converted it sideways twice.

So, it wasn't because of lack of trying or laziness on my part.  There is probably a setting on the import I was missing.

Yes, I was just looking for help, not trying to cause undue hardship on people trying to help out.  I thought sideways was better then no picture.  Apparently, i was incorrect.

Scott

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,380 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

sjf99,

What shows up now?  I just posted a screen shot of my Win10 Home, 64-bit, Windows Settings in this message, last image. 

I cannot open the classic "Cortana & Search" settings even though they show up using a Cortana search and show up in the search results.  There's also absolutely nothing under the new "Search" settings like there used to be with regard to controlling Cortana.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#6 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

britechguy

I had the same thing.  I didn't have the "Cortana & Search" setting even though results showed up using a Cortana search.  The classic settings were not there anymore and the new settings under windows settings were not there either.  I didn't see a way to "turn it on" so to speak.  So thats' when I thought perhaps through a group policy something wasn't active.

I think the reason I was able to get the cortana icon to appear in the Windows Setting is because I was able to go into the group policy editor and check into the "Search Setting" and "Allow Cortana", it was "Not Configured" (which makes sense on why I was getting a cortana search but not a way to control it, it wasn't disabled just not configured).  So, I changed it to "Enabled".  Restarted, and then the cortana icon appeared in the Windows Setting and I was able to fully control it from there.  

I have the 65 bit pro version of windows 10 that has the group policy editor, I don't think the home edition has it?  I think there lies your dilemma?  If it doesn't have it, I thought the settings could be accomplished thru the registry.  Hope this information helps provide further insight.  Thanks.

Scott

Edited by sjf99, 05 November 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,380 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Scott,

Thanks.   You are correct that Win10 Home does not include the Group Policy Editor (or, I guess I should say does not provide access to the Group Policy Editor, since Home and Pro are literally the same code but with different features turned on).

I have been trying for months now, off and on, to determine where in the registry this is controlled, as it has to be, but have had no success in isolating the key or keys involved.  I'll keep digging, though, just to see if I can eventually find what I'm looking for.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

How to enable gpedit.msc in Windows 10 Home? - Microsoft Community

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

britechguy,

I'll do a little digging/researching myself about the possible registry options.  I thought I stumbled across a couple yesterday when I was looking.

Scott

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,380 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

dc3,

It is not clear, in the thread which you reference, where the "from here" is in the initial suggestion.

In any case, I tried the technique outlined, though possibly not from the same source, and there is a thread in the BSOD forum that was the direct offshoot.  Thus the reason, any time someone talks about downloading gpedit.msc and "installing" it on Win10 home my standard reply is now, "That way lies madness."

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,380 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

I'll do a little digging/researching myself about the possible registry options.  I thought I stumbled across a couple yesterday when I was looking.

Scott, that would be very much appreciated.   It is, to put it mildly, annoying that the controls for Cortana keep changing on a constant basis and that old controls sometimes disappear, leaving those who thought, "Oh, I'll set that later after I play with this some more," out in the cold.

#12 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

Hi, I did try :-  to Dc3, in a post yesterday:-

And please do not post gpedit links for win 10 home, you will create havoc with users machines, since XP days people have offered this advice, it almost always ends in tears.. windows updates, any substantial feature update, registry corruption all come into play. Ms do make available a complete list of registry mods covering gpedit, this is the only safe way to apply gpedit settings on home.

#13 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

britechguy,

Just another thought I wanted to throw out there (just in case, although you probably already thought of this).  I recently updated to the fall creators update.  There still is a path to revert back to the prior features update.

Could you do that in your case?  Although, I think you mentioned you have been doing this for months.  Can you go back to the prior features update, set Cortina to enable it on and then reapply the new features update again, and maybe this won't lock you out to the functionality?

Scott

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,380 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:39 PM

Scott,

To be clear I do not wish to reenable that functionality.  I am eternally grateful that I set things as I wish to have them before Microsoft removed the ability to do so in the Cortana & Search settings.

With the advent of Version 1709 there is an actual Settings category for Search, but even it differs from what used to be present in Cortana & Search settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users